I overcame having to leave my friends behind.

bigster95
My father is in the United States military, so I usually move around every two to four years depending on what my father's new job is going to be. I've never lived anywhere I would ever call home, but I have met many people along the way that made everything bearable. Unfortunately, every time I find “real” friends, my father’s job pulls me away. Do not get me wrong, I love my family and I would go to the ends of the earth for them, but the friends I am really close to I consider being family as well. Not only do I have to leave friends who mean a lot to me, I also have to start at a whole new school as well. My new school has almost two thousand students; my last school had five hundred, so it was not just a small change. I moved to a new school that is huge, and I moved a country away from my friends.
Moving from Canada down to Kansas was a big deal for me. I never really liked Canada and was glad to leave, but I wanted to take my friends with me. This whole situation basically fell under the: “you can’t have your cake and eat it too”, category. My friends still do not really understand why I had to leave, but I guess when you make roots in a place you cannot picture ever leaving. They never understood how I felt about leaving. I’ve never been given the chance to have that one best friend I have known since kindergarten or that best friend that I grew up with. My grandparents do not live down the street and I do not spend holidays with extended family. I do not have those small things that everyone takes for granted, but I do get the chance to start over, to become a new person, and that is something that few people can say they have to opportunity to do. I have made knew friends here; although, I am still friends with my past friends from Canada. I have decided to take this as a fresh start, and escape from all the old drama my life had. To be honest I am really happy to have met some of my new friends because now there is no way I could picture my life without them.