I Overcame the Power of Pressure

swang
This year marked the two thousand and eleventh year of life after Christ’s birth.
This year also embarked on my first year of high school.
This year was filled with new classmates, new relationships, new experiences, and new adventures. I grew physically as a gained an inch in height and emotionally as I dealt with deeper friendships and chaotic drama.

Along with these changes came more responsibilities and pressure as well. I overcame a battle with a superior power. This power was invisible. This power hid within me. More precisely, it was the fear of academic failure. It squeezed my heart when I got below an A-. It punched my guts whenever I had the urge to slack-off. It shakes me awake on nights when I feel insecure about my future. It would occasionally Impose a sense of guilt in me in times of joy. It stole away the invaluable aspects of youth. I was no longer carefree and unworried.

At times I would sit in my room pondering upon why I felt the pressure that I felt. I came to reflect on my everyday life and its purpose. I unconsciously impose pressure on myself to excel in school because I have a dream to attend a prestigious college and embark on a new career in New York. The pressure comes from my fear of potential failures that await in the future. Granted, this pressure often serves me well. It fights with my tiredness and excessive desire to go shopping or to hang out with friends. It alerts my mind and keeps me at my best potential.

Pressure is very powerful; it can be a strong source of motivation and drive on one hand and a exasperating source of stress on the other.
But this year, the two thousand and eleventh year of life after Christ’s birth, I discovered a new aspect of my source and effects of pressure. Pressure is not an outside force. It is something that comes from within. I was both the victim and villain. I created the pressure and became negatively impacted by its powers. However, I came to realize that in fact, there is nothing to worry about. As long as my dreams are set, all I need to do is focus on using my energy to achieve my goal. Pressure can only help you and motivate you to perform the best. Now, I rarely feel the fear of failing because I know that my dream awaits ahead of me, and all I need to do is stand right back up and run towards my future.