I overcame the difficulties of junior year

svargas
Junior year. Just mentioning those two small words is enough to make many cringe. The thought of having to learn how to drive, taking the sat, act, subject tests, millions of AP classes and tests, volunteering lots, getting involved in several clubs, participating in sports, and still coming home to do homework, studying, and getting to bed on time to do it again the next day is extremely overwhelming. I dreaded junior year for a long, long time. I kept pushing the thought of it far from my mind, hoping that by doing that maybe, just maybe I would not have to go through it. That maybe, if I wished enough, I wouldn’t have to go through the same agony that millions of students go through every year. I had heard horror stories from previous juniors of how they would sleep at 12 o’clock every night, tired from sports, and hours of homework. I didn’t want that to be me, especially since I can’t really function unless I sleep at 10. So I tried to enjoy myself last summer, but it wasn’t easy because I had taken an dreary U.S. History course that took up practically every day of it. Next thing I know, the day had come to face my fears and jump off the diving board of junior year. At the very start of the school year, things were as overwhelming as I thought they’d be. I started out studying for the sat, doing tennis, learning to drive, being an officer for some clubs, and getting involved in 3 or 4 other clubs. And that was the after school part. In school, I’d have to take several tests every day, and come home to hours of homework and studying for my 4 AP classes. I got very overwhelmed, but I still managed to get to bed at around 10 as I had wanted. I got the first couple of D’s on tests in my life, and tons of C’s on assignments, which was discouraging. After tennis season was over, juggling all my activities got a bit easier. I didn’t come home physically exhausted at 5:30 everyday. It was still difficult, but not as hard as before. I got my first B’s in two classes this year, which was not my intent. Before this year, I was a straight A student. The only thing to keep me going was to not think of how many things I had to get accomplished and think of the rewarding school-free summer I’d have. Now, there are only 13 days left of school, 13 days left of this tough year. Just two more weeks until I’m free. I did learn a lot about myself, and how much strength I have to keep going on, no matter how hard things get. Maybe Junior year was necessary, in order for me to become a stronger person. At last, now I just have a year left of high school and an entire summer to be free!
Comment by pgarbero

I hear ya.
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:58:40 PM