I overcame self-image.

livinlife
It's a simple question: 'Why can't we shatter a mirror?'
The answer isn't 'it's bad luck' or, 'I'm afraid that the glass will cut me'. The answer to the question is 'because society values image too much'. Every time we look into a mirror, simply a piece of reflective glass, we are instantly throwing away all the insight we ever had about ourselves. We think, 'my thighs are too big', or 'that pimple is destroying my face', and we worry about all the needless details that make up our outside, when it is the inside that matters. This year was not an easy one for me. All my troubles, it seemed, started on a September night. We had just returned from a dinner party, where my father had drunk a few too many shots of vodka. He put his arm around me and told me gently that I was starting to gain weight. He only said this because he "cared about me, and just wanted the best for me". I shrugged this incident off within a day or two, and moved on with my life. Then it was time for fitness testing in school. Part of it is weight, and as I stepped onto the scale, following a shrimp of a girl who couldn't had weighed more than 70 pounds, the scale went up to 100. My P.E. teacher smiled encouragingly at me, and told me that P.E. would be great for shedding those extra pounds. The following weeks only brought more misery. It got to the point where I couldn't look in the mirror without quickly starting a few hundred crunches, or jumping jacks. One day, I just couldn't do it anymore. I ate a tub of ice cream, and was surprised with the good feeling that came afterward. I stopped any diets I had started, and started enjoying life. When I look in the mirror now, it's only to see if my clothes go together, not to imagine what I would look like after liposuction. I know that it isn't easy to let of all those preconceptions that society will hate you if you don't look like a supermodel, and I know that you will probably still feel self conscious, but I can look in a mirror now without wanting to cry. I can look into a mirror and see a beautiful, smart girl who can do anything. One of these days, I might just shatter my mirror, just to prove a point to myself. I don't need it.
Comment by Akimbo

I love the line "When I look in the mirror now, it's only to see if my clothes go together, not to imagine what I would look like after liposuction." Every day, multiple times a day there are advertisements on the radio for plastic surgery. Ever since returning to Florida, advertisements relay that people only care about suing and looking plastic. Thanks for valuing reality.
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:22:17 AM