I Overcame Myself

anna.libertin
Everyone has seen the movies. The girl walks through those clear glass doors and is transported into the wild savanna of Africa, where lion's circle their prey, monkeys mock from the branches,snakes slither beneath your feet in an attempt to trip you up, and rumors spread from the dried grass like wildfire. Welcome to high school.

Well, I walked into the field of plaid skirts and navy blouses expecting just that. My hand remained glued to my desk, out of reach of the chomping piranhas. My lip remained firmly bitten to prevent the hyena's from smelling my fear. I hid behind the protective hut of my pencils and books, praying that the tigers would not see me. But when I walked into the cafeteria, I blinked. Once. Twice. and looked around.

First, I spotted the predators. Ferocious cats licking their glossy lips. Then, the parrots. Birds with beaks poking through the air with their phony laugh. Then, the mice, slinking into the corner.

I blinked. Once. Twice. and looked around again.

First, I spotted the manes. Sloppy buns thrown atop the girls' heads with groggy hands. Then, the claws. Unpainted nails bitten to a nub. Then, the shocking void of camouflage, faces resting naked beneath no powder, paint, or paste.

And I realized.

The only thing making high school scary was me. The only thing circling it's prey was my fear. The only thing mocking me from a branch above was my lack of confidence. The only thing attempting to trip me up was my worries. The only thing spreading like wild-fire against the dry grass was me. me. me.
So I threw my mane back, stood on my hind legs, and bared my pearly whites, ready for this safari.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 7:08:25 PM