I Overcame the Hectic Juggling of High School Life

tahoang
No one ever said that life was easy, and high school was no exception. Older friends always told me that junior year would be the hardest year in high school and I thought that I was prepared for what would come, but I was sadly mistaken. I barely survived from the juggling between my stressful and difficult advanced placement classes, the petty drama between friends, my religious obligations, the time-consuming homework, and sports. Nonetheless, I did survive. The process, however, was not as easy as I hoped it would be.

Time is precious and I took it for granted for a long time. From the start of the new school term, I was basically battling against time. I took my valuable minutes and seconds and wasted them on distractions, then regretting it later. I watched the hands on the clock slowly tick closer and closer to the start of a new day while I try to focus on my homework with my brain on sensory overload from the noise coming from the television set. My main thought during this “complex” homework process was that maybe a wasted minute watching the television screen would not matter. Clearly I was wrong. Afterwards I would be staying up five minutes, ten minutes, half an hour, even an hour later than usual. I was gradually losing precious hours of sleep and my body was paying for that consequence. On top of that, I was bombarded with the constant problems of my friends, pouring through texts or phone calls. I also had to juggle with religious work as well. Along with my friends’ struggles and religion, I tried to help as much as I could. In the end, I found a way to balance homework, religion, and friends. I stopped turning the television on when I did homework, I limited my procrastinating, and I left time for my religious obligations. With that improved method of tackling my work load, I had several minutes and seconds left over to converse with my friends, which somewhat utilize my time at home and on the weekends sufficiently.

With my home life somewhat-organized, I was left with conflicting interests at school. Time, again, was an enemy. I was involved in several clubs at school, as well as sports after school and an internship. In order for me to attend to each, I would constantly be rushing to and fro. With the clubs at least, I did not have to pick or choose which meeting to go to since the meetings were usually on different days. The sports and internship were a different story. My internship began at 1:30pm and track began promptly at 3:00pm. I would be rushing through my lunch—maybe seeing my friends at this time—changing to my running clothes, and hurrying to my internship. I usually got back on time for track. This method worked quite well in managing both responsibilities, however hasty. In reality, life is easy with well-organized time management.