I Overcame My English Class

abanana47
This year was the first year I really had ever had a hard teacher. Most of my teachers before have been pretty easy going. They saw that I was a pretty good student, got A's, and did the work, so they would give me a good grade. Not my English teacher. For once, I was given the grade I really deserved, and I did not really like it. She marked off for silly mistakes that any other teacher would have ignored. I knew that it was incorrect and that I really deserved the grade I had gotten, but after so many years of getting off easy, it was a little frustrating. Usually, I never have to study for any kind of test. I am pretty good at winging these kinds of things, and I normally do fairly well. But not in my English class. I promptly learned this after I got a solid C- on a pretty big test.
I was really testing the waters when the end of the semester came around and I was sitting at a low A-, even after all of the extra credit essays I wrote. We had one final test on "Julius Caesar", so I knew I had to study my socks off. I reread the play, read everything there was about it on Sparknotes, read all the footnotes, and printed off about twenty more sheets of notes. It turns out that studying actually does help. Yes, my grade did go down to a bit, but I was able to keep my A. Many of my classmates dropped the class second semester, but I was determined to stick through it. Even though I still hear complaining from the kids who dropped the class, I am actually glad I stayed.
I really started to learn things about the English language. Well, a lot of these things I should have already known, like adverbs and pronouns, but it never really stuck, and no one ever made it stick. Other teachers would have us learn these for a day or so, and we would be done with it. My teacher kept testing us on these and would bring key items back up. She was determined to make us learn and remember everything there is about grammar, sentence structure, parts of speech, and everything else that has to do with the English language.
Even though I still got the occasional failed assignment, my grades started to look a little better, and my papers were not so bad anymore. I believe that I learned a lot this year from my English teacher, and I am really glad I stuck with her class. The end of the semester is once again coming up, and I am once again at a low A-. Hopefully as she reads this extra credit essay, my teacher will know that I thank her for everything she has taught me and for challenging me like no other teacher ever has.