STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame My English Class

abanana47
This year was the first year I really had ever had a hard teacher. Most of my teachers before have been pretty easy going. They saw that I was a pretty good student, got A's, and did the work, so they would give me a good grade. Not my English teacher. For once, I was given the grade I really deserved, and I did not really like it. She marked off for silly mistakes that any other teacher would have ignored. I knew that it was incorrect and that I really deserved the grade I had gotten, but after so many years of getting off easy, it was a little frustrating. Usually, I never have to study for any kind of test. I am pretty good at winging these kinds of things, and I normally do fairly well. But not in my English class. I promptly learned this after I got a solid C- on a pretty big test.
I was really testing the waters when the end of the semester came around and I was sitting at a low A-, even after all of the extra credit essays I wrote. We had one final test on "Julius Caesar", so I knew I had to study my socks off. I reread the play, read everything there was about it on Sparknotes, read all the footnotes, and printed off about twenty more sheets of notes. It turns out that studying actually does help. Yes, my grade did go down to a bit, but I was able to keep my A. Many of my classmates dropped the class second semester, but I was determined to stick through it. Even though I still hear complaining from the kids who dropped the class, I am actually glad I stayed.
I really started to learn things about the English language. Well, a lot of these things I should have already known, like adverbs and pronouns, but it never really stuck, and no one ever made it stick. Other teachers would have us learn these for a day or so, and we would be done with it. My teacher kept testing us on these and would bring key items back up. She was determined to make us learn and remember everything there is about grammar, sentence structure, parts of speech, and everything else that has to do with the English language.
Even though I still got the occasional failed assignment, my grades started to look a little better, and my papers were not so bad anymore. I believe that I learned a lot this year from my English teacher, and I am really glad I stuck with her class. The end of the semester is once again coming up, and I am once again at a low A-. Hopefully as she reads this extra credit essay, my teacher will know that I thank her for everything she has taught me and for challenging me like no other teacher ever has.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy