I overcame a back injury.

avery.quirk
During my freshmen year of high school, I played field hockey, lacrosse and I was a varsity swimmer. In the fall of my sophomore year I was training to be on the varsity lacrosse team. While lifting weights I felt an intense pain in my back. I heard it cracking and I placed the weight back on the bar. The pain became so great that it was almost impossible for me to walk. That night my father took me to the chiropractor. After two months of chiropractic appointments, my family decided to take me to see an orthopedic doctor. At the office, they looked over my MRI scans and x-rays. They came back in to the room and told me that I had a bulging disk in my back. They said it might reduce but I would have it for the rest of my life. At that moment in time all my thoughts were centered on lacrosse. I had trained so hard for five months to get ready for spring season. When they told me how serious it was and that only people above the age of fifty get this kind of injury, I knew I would be out for my sophomore season. I was scheduled for physical therapy two to three times a week and I was put on steroids to reduce the inflammation. My entire life suddenly became about my back. I would watch from the sidelines as my team prepared for the season. I helped out as much as possible because I still wanted to be a part of the team. Yet, there was nothing that could integrate me back into the team. I fell into a state of complete sadness. This was the biggest setback that I had experienced in my life up until this point. No one understood my injury because it was not tangible; they could not see it. Last summer the pain decreased from everyday to once a month. I felt great and I thought if I gradually trained I would be able to play lacrosse again in the spring. I started running, but the pain came back. I visited two different doctors and they both told me the same thing: I could never run or play sports again. At that point, I was prepared for the news. I was sad but I knew I would find my own path. I focused on school and I joined the musical. I made a lot of great friends and I was able to interview for a competitive internship that I probably would not have had time for if I had played sports. My injury taught me many lessons about life the biggest being that one must always get up again after a great fall. I overcame my injury and now I am truly happy.