I overcame my Fear of Failure

a.r.ash
Failure is not a word any high school student likes to hear. Failure to pass a class, failure to reach a goal, or failure to live up to what is expected of you is one of the most disheartening moments in a person’s life. My fear of this moment, my fear of failure, is what I overcame this year.
As a student I am extremely driven, and push myself to my limit. Seeing all of those little “A”s lined up on my high school transcript floods my body with a sense of accomplishment. I knew coming into my junior year I would be pushed further than I ever thought possible. Looking back, this was true. I had to study constantly, I was sleep deprived, I was always stressed out, and I felt like the living dead. My strong drive to succeed at everything at once was slowly taking over my life. I was afraid of not doing as well as my classmates, being unable to follow through, and felt spread too thin. Falling apart halfway through my most important year of school was not on my agenda, and I continued to push forward. During finals I was a zombie. Trigonometry equations and American Literary Movements swam through my head, and I had a case of untreatable chemistry overload. My grades were on the borderline of an A/B, and I was not going to sit back while they continued to fall. My fear of being unable to pull a 4.2 this trimester, and match my expectations of keeping up with the other AP students at my school were only hindering my attempt to reach my goals. By comparing myself to my peers, I began to lose faith in myself, and became discouraged.
I soon realized that my attitude had to change. I started writing inspirational quotes on my bathroom mirror with dry-erase markers, and printed out other quotes and symbols from my favorite books to tape on my bedroom wall. These little things, these little inspirations helped me realize that despite the letter that is printed on my report card, I can only do my best. By believing in myself, I was able to find inspiration.
I overcame my fear of failure this year: my fear of not being good enough, not living up to what was expected of me, and not accomplishing my goals. The goals I set were too demanding. Not to the point that I could not reach them, but in the sense that they brought unnecessary stress and fear of failure into my life. The goal that every student should strive to accomplish is to do their best at what is asked of them. This I have found to be my most valuable realization. Knowing that I am only capable of doing my very best, I am able to take things one step at a time, and know that in my heart, I succeed by doing the best I can do.