STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame loss

Mancub55
Tears overcame me as I sat in the emergency room. "I love you so much", he said with a painful breath of air," I’m so proud of who you are". The sensation of pain and confusion that hits when one first thinks about loss isn't simply about being hurt, but being lost; Lost in themselves; wandering a path of not just confusion, but control. Not self-control, but the control that your heart has over your mind and body. You want to turn and run, or fall and cry, but you can’t move. “I love you too dad”…That’s all I said? That’s all I could come up with? I was standing there with nothing to do but think, and I couldn’t. The school year had been good- short, and easy, breezing past in a couple blinks of an eye. All until a simple medical phenomenon; a small valve sitting on top of the heart controlling blood flow through the aorta had burst, sending pains through his chest and arm until he was out. Just like that, my life was a rollercoaster. It’s strange, really. Like sitting on different planet watching your own life get away from you, changing and forming into something completely different; while you can’t do anything but watch. Watch as a tsunami of blood bursts the line and floods what used to be your life.
He stayed with my mom and me at the hospital until about eleven forty when the flight crew came and rushed him off. There was a long flight and an even longer surgery ahead as they rushed around him like ants to a gathering. He would land about an hour or so later and be rushed into surgery, and then bring him out and let him recover for a while, and send home. The process and order seemed so simple as I played it over and over in my head, But despite all attempts to pass the time, that night was the longest night of my life. The last thing in the world that I wanted to think of is the only thought that would cross my mind. I was drowning in painful thoughts as they would flood my conscience…What if he doesn’t make it?…What if dad died?... Preposterous. There’s no way. It’s too early, what about his kids? So young, they need him. He was just fine this morning…So fast. There is no way that it could end so fast. But it did. That next morning, hearing those words, feeling so cold…this was life. This is my life. Lost and confused, I wanted to shrivel up and hide in the darkest hole. But the people. Endless waves of depressed people. “He was a good man”, “best man I ever knew”; “hard to believe he’s gone”. The same words came so often, that I could basically predict which one of the few statements was about to be heard as I got yet another pointless, cold hug. My dad had died, my life had flipped, and all they could do was mumble echoes and offer embrace. When all I wanted to do was quit, I kept going, fighting through every day. Now…five months later I’m graduating, smiling, enjoying life; but I will never forget the hurdle that was thrown in my path. This year what I overcame wasn’t a grade or that little math final, I overcame loss… and I overcame life.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:37:58 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy