I overcame loss

Mancub55
Tears overcame me as I sat in the emergency room. "I love you so much", he said with a painful breath of air," I’m so proud of who you are". The sensation of pain and confusion that hits when one first thinks about loss isn't simply about being hurt, but being lost; Lost in themselves; wandering a path of not just confusion, but control. Not self-control, but the control that your heart has over your mind and body. You want to turn and run, or fall and cry, but you can’t move. “I love you too dad”…That’s all I said? That’s all I could come up with? I was standing there with nothing to do but think, and I couldn’t. The school year had been good- short, and easy, breezing past in a couple blinks of an eye. All until a simple medical phenomenon; a small valve sitting on top of the heart controlling blood flow through the aorta had burst, sending pains through his chest and arm until he was out. Just like that, my life was a rollercoaster. It’s strange, really. Like sitting on different planet watching your own life get away from you, changing and forming into something completely different; while you can’t do anything but watch. Watch as a tsunami of blood bursts the line and floods what used to be your life.
He stayed with my mom and me at the hospital until about eleven forty when the flight crew came and rushed him off. There was a long flight and an even longer surgery ahead as they rushed around him like ants to a gathering. He would land about an hour or so later and be rushed into surgery, and then bring him out and let him recover for a while, and send home. The process and order seemed so simple as I played it over and over in my head, But despite all attempts to pass the time, that night was the longest night of my life. The last thing in the world that I wanted to think of is the only thought that would cross my mind. I was drowning in painful thoughts as they would flood my conscience…What if he doesn’t make it?…What if dad died?... Preposterous. There’s no way. It’s too early, what about his kids? So young, they need him. He was just fine this morning…So fast. There is no way that it could end so fast. But it did. That next morning, hearing those words, feeling so cold…this was life. This is my life. Lost and confused, I wanted to shrivel up and hide in the darkest hole. But the people. Endless waves of depressed people. “He was a good man”, “best man I ever knew”; “hard to believe he’s gone”. The same words came so often, that I could basically predict which one of the few statements was about to be heard as I got yet another pointless, cold hug. My dad had died, my life had flipped, and all they could do was mumble echoes and offer embrace. When all I wanted to do was quit, I kept going, fighting through every day. Now…five months later I’m graduating, smiling, enjoying life; but I will never forget the hurdle that was thrown in my path. This year what I overcame wasn’t a grade or that little math final, I overcame loss… and I overcame life.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:37:58 PM