I Overcame the Intoxication of "Friends"

ZachAttackW
Making friends, fighting with parents, learning all that I'm capable of, it is freshman year and I was just introduced to the unique experience of highschool. This was going to be my year. Every girl in school was going to want to go out with me, I was finally going to be part of the "popular" crowd... well that was the plan. I had it all planned out in my head how I was going to get to the top, but my plans weren't exactly the most intelligent way to go about it.

Alcohol, the mysterious, strange substance that intrigues the minds of young ones everywhere, especially mine. Partying and drinking became an occasional friday night, but quickly it became a habit. Every weekend me and my friends were relaxing in a frigid basement chugging shots to our hearts content. Getting smashed even when it was just two of us, and meandering around neighborhoods late at night vandalizing homes. Nothing was to corrupt to me anymore. Soon hanging out without drinking was pointless to me. I was addicted.

"Everyone does it now-a-days, I'll be fine." This is what I told anyone who questioned my drinking. It started taking over my life. Friends and even some family became second to my newer "popular" friends, second to drinking. After a couple of months of drinking once or twice every weekend, I started to have the thought, maybe I should stop...maybe these aren't my real friends. But, it wasn't until my girlfriend found out about my drinking and threatened a break-up that I truly felt guilt. It hit me that drinking was wrecking my life. Straight A student to an unbearable jerk. I had to change.

I really owe it to my girlfriend for saving me from my own destructive behavior. She inspired me to be the person I am rather than who others wanted me to be. An uncaring fool that couldn't see that the people he turned his back on were actually the true friends all along just wasn't who I wanted to be. The "popular" kids weren't friends, true friends care about you and want you to be safe, not convince you to partake in an activity that slowly kills you. It took almost losing my first and kindest girlfriend to see that, but it is better later than never.

"Friends" and popularity will cause a person to do crazy things, things that we would never even consider, but we can overcome the lure of popularity. What makes a person cool is being true to themselves. Drinking and vandalizing isn't cool, it's stupid and harmful. Thanks to a group of caring friends that were there for me even when I wasn't there for them, I can once again live a life I am proud to live and not embarrassed to say to anyone.