I Overcame My Best Friend's Death

mynameisASHley
Last year, two of my very close friend where in an ATV accident. Although it is a year and a half later, I am still trying to cope. People in my school get fed up with me always talking about Raychel and Chelsea, but it's the only way to let myself from forgetting them. I know deep down I will never really forget Raychel; I still fear that one day I will not remember how good of a friend she was to me.

On November 12, 2009, Raychel died on impact and Chelsea was induced into a coma as an outcome of a horrible accident. I visit Chelsea as often as I can as well as Raychel's grave. Chelsea cannot walk, eat or talk, but is getting better and learning how to do things that came naturally day-by-day.

School is still hard because it seems as though no one remembers and people still ride bikes and ATV’s and anything else that requires a helmet without one. Everyday I still go to the lunch table and wait for Chels and Raych to come to the table laughing and smiling. When I walk through the hallway, I think I see them and run to catch up to them and am embarrassed to see that it's not them.

Yes, it's a year and a half after their accident, but I have to live with not seeing them everyday. Every time I see Chelsea, I wonder "Why her?" I can't talk about it with my parents because they think I am a baby and don't know how to let anything go. All I want is to let other teens to know how important it is to wear a helmet and to let your parents know where you are.

I didn’t know how to cope with the accident. I was only 14. High school had just started. If I hadn’t gone to Raychel’s viewing, I never would have been able to overcome such a hard time in a teenagers life. I had never lost a family. I still cry at night, but not as much as I used to. I still write notes and drop them in their lockers. This helps me remember Raych and “stay in touch” with Raychel. When I am aloud, I walk to Chelsea’s house form the school and spend a few hours with her. I talk to her about everything. Justin Bieber, friends, family, boys. Although she can’t talk back, I know exactly what she would say to me.

Chelsea and Raychel where and still are in my heart beautiful people who never thought this would happen to them. If there was one thing Raychel wanted out of her death, was to let others know how wonderful life really is.

I overcame my best friend's death. I overcome it little by little everyday and soon enough I will not let it run my life.
Comment by Mancub55

hey, I won’t say that I know how u feel, because that is what always bugged me the most anytime something happened, but i lost my dad to a heart attack about five months ago, and I know how weird it is always looking for someone that isn’t there, that’s all you want to talk about because they meant so much to you, and so after a while everyone gets annoyed, or at least you feel like they are... but I think that it is important to hold on, the pain can fade and that is fine, but you don’t have to forget or move on. this is a really important thing to you, and so it is important that you are the one setting time lines on when you want to stop talking about it, and that you are okay that not everyone doesn’t want to hear it, but find people that do want to talk and then talk to them... but don’t rush yourself, there are people that care in the world:) believe it or not, I’m sorry for your loss.
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:11:02 PM
Comment by Mele Writer

My heart truly goes out to you. I loved how you admit that it's still hard and it's going to take a while to heal. Because nothing could be closer to the truth. Well done. Let yourself heal. You need it.
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:18:53 PM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:41:07 PM
Comment by bellasara

Hi, my name is Kimona Mitchell and I am almost going to high school. I'm leaving you this comment saying that I understand what you are saying, but you made a good choice to forget about them. Congradulations!!!!!!!
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:25:53 PM