STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame the mental roadblock I had built over the years...

hto681
We adolescents are faced with different challenges everyday while in high school. I am a senior in high school now and just when I thought I had tried everything and had thought that I had seen it all, I was wrong. Over my middle school years and throughout high school I had told myself that I could never be a straight A student. I had built this mental wall that I was afraid to climb over. I remember I would become ecstatic every good grade I had received. I was content with getting a D- and barely passing half my classes. In my mind I thought that I was trying hard enough and thought that I couldn’t do any better.

Then I met my girlfriend, the only girl that I have ever dated that was smarter than me. She got good grades constantly, she had A’s on every final report card and she used to freak out when she saw a B+ during her midterm reports. I remember being baffled and thinking, “why would you be freaking out over a B+? I would be jumping for joy.” I then realized that she knew that she could do better, that’s why she was unhappy with a grade that didn’t mean perfection. Seeing her try to achieve something better than an average grade really opened up my own eyes and had helped me reach my potential. I started trying in all my classes and seeing the improvements, I realized how simple school can be when you just take the time to listen and learn. I began to be more involved in school, doing things that would help motivate me to achieve greatness. School just began to click with me, I began to realize what I needed to do to get that A I longed for, to go the extra mile to get extra credit.

I know some of you might say, “you are a senior and you were already done with high school and I bet those classes you took were easy.” Well let me tell you something, yes I am a senior, but I wasn’t smart enough to get done with what needed to be done. My senior year has been plagued with a full schedule and classes that I should have passed back when I was a freshman. I messed around back then and I am paying for it now.

All it takes is one person to help open your eyes and motivate you to achieve greatness, to climb over that mental roadblock because you are afraid that you won’t be good enough. One person, whether is be your mom, dad, boyfriend/girlfriend, teacher, or even your own self can help you see that youre just as good as anyone around if you just try. I still feel like I haven’t reached my full potential yet. I still feel like I have a long road ahead of me and that road is college, that’s when the true test comes.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy