I overcame the mental roadblock I had built over the years...

hto681
We adolescents are faced with different challenges everyday while in high school. I am a senior in high school now and just when I thought I had tried everything and had thought that I had seen it all, I was wrong. Over my middle school years and throughout high school I had told myself that I could never be a straight A student. I had built this mental wall that I was afraid to climb over. I remember I would become ecstatic every good grade I had received. I was content with getting a D- and barely passing half my classes. In my mind I thought that I was trying hard enough and thought that I couldn’t do any better.

Then I met my girlfriend, the only girl that I have ever dated that was smarter than me. She got good grades constantly, she had A’s on every final report card and she used to freak out when she saw a B+ during her midterm reports. I remember being baffled and thinking, “why would you be freaking out over a B+? I would be jumping for joy.” I then realized that she knew that she could do better, that’s why she was unhappy with a grade that didn’t mean perfection. Seeing her try to achieve something better than an average grade really opened up my own eyes and had helped me reach my potential. I started trying in all my classes and seeing the improvements, I realized how simple school can be when you just take the time to listen and learn. I began to be more involved in school, doing things that would help motivate me to achieve greatness. School just began to click with me, I began to realize what I needed to do to get that A I longed for, to go the extra mile to get extra credit.

I know some of you might say, “you are a senior and you were already done with high school and I bet those classes you took were easy.” Well let me tell you something, yes I am a senior, but I wasn’t smart enough to get done with what needed to be done. My senior year has been plagued with a full schedule and classes that I should have passed back when I was a freshman. I messed around back then and I am paying for it now.

All it takes is one person to help open your eyes and motivate you to achieve greatness, to climb over that mental roadblock because you are afraid that you won’t be good enough. One person, whether is be your mom, dad, boyfriend/girlfriend, teacher, or even your own self can help you see that youre just as good as anyone around if you just try. I still feel like I haven’t reached my full potential yet. I still feel like I have a long road ahead of me and that road is college, that’s when the true test comes.