I overcame my own self

kazunangst
Dear Diary,

There was once a girl who looked like me, talked like me, and acted like me. In essence, she was me. But at the same time, I felt myself growing away from her.

You see, people think that I am this innocent girl who is naive and blonde. I stumble down stairs, I stammer when I'm nervous, and I blush easily. But over the last year people have started to notice a different side of me.

Truthfully, I'm not as innocent as everyone believes. I curse when I'm angry, and I can be cruel when I want to be. But I cover this up a lot of the time because I feel like no one would appreciate the real me.

Well diary, this year I decided that enough was enough. I'm a senior in high school. Why shouldn't I be who I really am? My real friends will like me no matter what. And who knows? Maybe I'll find my real self along the way.

Now I did not simply start cursing at anyone who passed by. What would that do? But I did let my feelings show instead of leaving them at home in my closet. At first, my friends looked at me and scrutinized my actions, but, in the end, many of them ignored it. Actually, one person gave me a hug and told me that he was proud of me. I guess that my friends knew there was something that I was hiding.

In the end, I was able to become myself. I'm still a caterpillar in a cocoon, yet I feel the changes bursting to get out. I'm ready to become my own butterfly.

So diary, say goodbye to the fake me and say hello to... the person I truly am. ME!