STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame what would have been my friend's sixteenth birthday

On September 22, 2011, I woke up with pain in my eyes and a heavy heart. Because September 22, 2011 would have been my friend Danielle's Sweet Sixteen.
Danielle was taken from her home when she was only seven years old and brutally murdered by a neighbor. The day before what would have been her sixteenth birthday, her mother sent out a mass e-mail, telling everyone to celebrate the day by being kind to others, which is what Danielle would have done. Tears came to my eyes when I read the words.
I went to school and cried my way through the day. My boyfriend, always supportive, comforted me, but my mind was racing with thoughts. What would she have been like today?
I felt as if my heart was being stabbed by a white hot dagger as I imagined her murderer, rotting away in a lonely cell, a prisoner of his thoughts. My body seared with the fresh wave of pain from losing her, and I hoped he was feeling it, too.
I pushed myself through the day, doing what she would have wanted and helping others. I smiled at random people in the hallway that I did not know. I helped my lab partner in physics with the homework assignment. But, most importantly, I passed on the message. My biggest act of kindness was telling others to do acts of kindness, in Danielle's memory.
As the day came to a close, I realized that Danielle will always be missing out. Her life was taken from her when she was seven. She will never kiss a boy. She will never experience a high school prom. She will never know what it's like to watch hundreds of hats fill the air after graduation. But I knew, in my heart, that though she was no longer on Earth, her spirit lingers, in me, and in the lives of everyone she knew in those short seven years.
Although it was a day of tears and suffering, I knew that being kind to others was what Danielle would have wanted. And that is what really mattered.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:42:15 PM
Rate this:
Comment by kinzie52

hey, just wanted to let you know that I could personally identify with your essay. actually, to be quite real with you, and i'm totally telling the truth, I had a cousin named Danielle who was murdered when she was seven. She was Danielle Van Dam, from California.
I'm just wondering if this was the same girl. David Westerfield was the guy who did it. not many seven year old girls named Danielle who died at that exact point in time from being killed, ya know? Contact me back, because whether or not its the same person I would love to connect with you and talk about it, because the same thing happened to me.
Regardless, wow! Good job on overcoming!!!!!
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:29:25 AM
Rate this:
Comment by kinzie52

actually, i just checked and i'm pretty sure they're the same girl because my cousin's birthday was on september 22 as well. I can't believe you knew my cousin. i have some personal information to ttalk to you about, so if you can just email me ASAP i would be so grateful and so honored-
[email protected]
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:41:45 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy