I Overcame the Albatross of Time

pgarbero
Dost thou love life, then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of.-Benjamin Franklin. Events seem to be endless for me nowadays. I have one event to do after another, and I constantly wonder if I do too many. Time for me is used wisely and surely not squandered because of my many activities. Some of which are cross-country, track, Academic Decathlon, FBLA, Junior Rifle Club, FCA, volunteering, or the homework and rigorous studies of my classes. Recently, I have been spending twelve-hour days with school, then Academic Decathlon, then cross-county, finally ending with homework. I then sleep and do it all over again the next day. One characteristic I will have truly mastered by the end of high school is time management, a characteristic needed in this busy paced world of ours.

School is where my time management skills are needed most. If I need to talk to a teacher between classes for help or advice it must be in less than five minutes so I must get to the point fast, so I can use the minute I have left to ask a teacher of my next class a question on homework or about what is going to be on the test for that day. Even at lunch I am studying away for my two remaining classes of the day, sandwich in one hand book in the other. In my Spanish class I see the clock ticking away getting closer and closer to 2:45. Some students look at this the end of their school day, but I just look at it as the end of the beginning of my school day.

Once that final bell for school has been wrung, many students rush towards their buses, but I don’t have that privilege. I go to my locker and drop of my surplus of supplies and then bring out my enormous white binder for Academic Decathlon, filled with anything you could possibly want to know about the Great Depression and am at practice by 3:00. I though, can only stay until 4:00 because that is when my practice for cross-country starts and goes usually until 6:00. Finally I then make it home exhausted mentally from Academic Decathlon and exhausted physically from cross-country. Then I have to get started on my homework and studies, ranging from understanding supply and demand for economics to knowing how to say “pay attention to” in Spanish. Conclusively, my day ends with a much desired sleep around 11:00. I then set my alarm to 6:00, careful not to be late for anything the next day. I then lay in my bed, staring at my alarm clock trying to depict in the dark what time it is, trying to see how much time till I have to start my time management routine over again. There are those who say they love life, while they squander away their time. There are those who put life to work. But those who have never put life to work have no idea what life is; let alone why to love it.