STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame my green eyed monster.

savanna.wardlaw23
I’m happy, happy go lucky if you ask my friends. Nothing ever seems to make my red haired fiery temper blaze but this has. It’s amazing how ridiculously unfair life can be sometimes, and so lately I just wonder “What’s the point? Why should I try?”
I am responsible. I have goals, and I’m a hard worker. Granted, I am also a procrastinator but I have a record of success. I am an international baccalaureate candidate, which is supposedly one of the most difficult school courses in the world. I have a high GPA. I am a member of the North Hall swim team. I’m a lifeguard. I have shown them that I won’t blow this and waste their money. I have shown them that I won’t become a drop out. I have shown them that I deserve more.
Haven’t I?
He didn’t try. He barely scraped out of high school. He went to a community college for two months or so before he dropped out. After dropping out he signed up for the Air Force but when time came for him to go to boot camp… he didn’t go. Instead, he went and committed a felony. He burnt that house down to the ground but a house wasn’t just any house. It was a home and it was my father’s.
My brother set his own father’s home on fire.
I remember walking through the rubble. The smell seeped so deeply into my father and me, that for the next four days, we reeked of smoke. My dad hides pain well but I knew his trick. It’s the same trick I use. Laughter may be the best medicine, but sometimes it’s also just the best illusion.
He wants to go to college full time, again. Who is going to pay for this whim? My family already struggles financially due to his lawyer, medical, and psychiatric bills. I have some scholarships for college but I still need help. I am a junior in high school. I haven’t even had my chance to go to college yet. He has. He blew it. It’s my turn, right? This isn’t fair, is it?
I’m not the good guy in this story. I am not an underdog. I am a green eyed monster. My life has just become a parallel to the Biblical story of the prodigal son. I am the envious, older son, or rather the little sister. I want my brother to succeed it’s just…I want my turn too.
I don’t believe this jealousy will ever completely disappear but I have reached a peace. Every morning I studied two verses and little by little this ritual has ebbed away at my bitterness.
Matthew 6: 26 “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy