I overcame my older brother

jdrelich1
Will I miss my older brother when he goes off to college? I do not know the answer now. Soon, I am to embark on an emotional journey into the war zone of my mind, to weigh the positives and the negatives of my potential gain or loss. I have rarely been tormented physically over my 15-plus years of life, although there were instances where I have been punched in the face or the infamous “hammer and my toe” incident. However, that does not concern me. With his hyper-active ADD disorder, the blame can only be attributed to two people, himself or I. I love and respect as a brother, but he lacks the personal qualities that I need to determine if I will miss him. Time tells no lies, and soon I will have my answer.
I have been living with my older brother for over 15 years, and I have experienced some of the best moments of my life with him. Together, we have gone on family vacations, to sporting events, and many other exciting places. Even by just sitting down and chatting or through the extensive playing of video games, we build lines of connections and therefore strong, unbreakable bonds. If I ever need a laugh or food, I will ask him. The food part is an excellent privilege. He either cooks or we go on food rampages; where we would take his car, go to a few fast food restaurants and delis, and binge eat. I will surely miss the joy I receive from being near him, but is that enough for me to miss him?
I love him as a brother, but I have never met a slob quite like him. Living with him for over 15 years, I have become a neat freak. In a kitchen, he does not know where personal boundaries exist. When I have food, he thinks that he can simply take the food and he can clear out the entire refrigerator. In my bedroom, he takes my clothes and personal items while scavenging, and leaves a mess the size of the Himalaya Mountains. In the bathroom, I thought one was supposed to get clean. I guess not. With the ADD, he fixates on the smallest obsessions that drive me insane. Even as my brother, his personal qualities require improvement.
An unknown author once said, “A friend is a brother who was once a bother.” I believe that this quote applies to my situation, but only time will tell if I am to miss him.
Comment by Ceeg3

When the moment comes when a family member that is really close to you, you tend to miss them and feel left out. I have experience with this with my older sister. when she left off to start off her life i missed her being around and the love that she had for me the caring and loving sister. no matter what the love will be there. Coming to a point that i missed her a lot but i had to deal with it because she has a life and i have my own right now because two weeks from now or a week i will be done with school. I still miss her to the days I'm not with her. You just have to deal with them being not by your side.
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:21:19 PM