STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame my older brother

jdrelich1
Will I miss my older brother when he goes off to college? I do not know the answer now. Soon, I am to embark on an emotional journey into the war zone of my mind, to weigh the positives and the negatives of my potential gain or loss. I have rarely been tormented physically over my 15-plus years of life, although there were instances where I have been punched in the face or the infamous “hammer and my toe” incident. However, that does not concern me. With his hyper-active ADD disorder, the blame can only be attributed to two people, himself or I. I love and respect as a brother, but he lacks the personal qualities that I need to determine if I will miss him. Time tells no lies, and soon I will have my answer.
I have been living with my older brother for over 15 years, and I have experienced some of the best moments of my life with him. Together, we have gone on family vacations, to sporting events, and many other exciting places. Even by just sitting down and chatting or through the extensive playing of video games, we build lines of connections and therefore strong, unbreakable bonds. If I ever need a laugh or food, I will ask him. The food part is an excellent privilege. He either cooks or we go on food rampages; where we would take his car, go to a few fast food restaurants and delis, and binge eat. I will surely miss the joy I receive from being near him, but is that enough for me to miss him?
I love him as a brother, but I have never met a slob quite like him. Living with him for over 15 years, I have become a neat freak. In a kitchen, he does not know where personal boundaries exist. When I have food, he thinks that he can simply take the food and he can clear out the entire refrigerator. In my bedroom, he takes my clothes and personal items while scavenging, and leaves a mess the size of the Himalaya Mountains. In the bathroom, I thought one was supposed to get clean. I guess not. With the ADD, he fixates on the smallest obsessions that drive me insane. Even as my brother, his personal qualities require improvement.
An unknown author once said, “A friend is a brother who was once a bother.” I believe that this quote applies to my situation, but only time will tell if I am to miss him.
Rate this:
Comment by Ceeg3

When the moment comes when a family member that is really close to you, you tend to miss them and feel left out. I have experience with this with my older sister. when she left off to start off her life i missed her being around and the love that she had for me the caring and loving sister. no matter what the love will be there. Coming to a point that i missed her a lot but i had to deal with it because she has a life and i have my own right now because two weeks from now or a week i will be done with school. I still miss her to the days I'm not with her. You just have to deal with them being not by your side.
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:21:19 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy