STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Prom: Catching a Fairytale

ciaobella14
It’s almost April. The petit droplets from the sky begin to fall, creating a wet shine on the already glamorous month when people begin to obsess over prom. The hallway is full of excitement, students chirping gossip back and forth about who’s asking who. But the excitement doesn’t end here; awareness about the amazing night of prom has spread to kids at younger and younger ages.

Before its even spring, it’s prom season in my small New Jersey high school. Colorful cupcakes spelling out p-r-o-m-? begin popping up in class. Huge banners asking the same show up in the cafeteria. Even sushi spells out the most popular word of the season. Sneaky cell phones slip out of pockets so that everyone can see the most perfect dress, heels, and makeup. And whatever room you walk into, someone is whispering about the popular theme.

The anxiety sinks in two days after tickets go on sale. Is he going to ask me? Should I ask him first? They’ll be on sale for another week, but no one has the patience to possibly wait that long. The excitement heightens to a new level as friend’s debate waiting to ask someone to prom. Some underclassmen give each other bemused looks. Why is this such a big deal? It’s just a fancier version of our last dance… Only the seniors can stay overnight at Wildwood anyway.

Although some people are naïve to the ‘huge’ milestone of prom, the majority have heard about it for years before high school. As I’m the oldest of four girls, I never had an older sibling to watch get ready for the big night. When I was in forth grade though, my babysitter invited my sisters and me to her house to see her and her friends before prom. I can still remember, six years later, how I thought I knew a princess. She looked gorgeous in her lavender gown, standing next to a tall, handsome boy in a suit (obviously a prince). When the limo pulled up my prediction was confirmed. No one would ride in such a car unless they were royalty. My babysitter was definitely a princess, and I couldn’t wait for my turn.

Now my sisters are in fifth and sixth grade. I don’t think they remember that day when I was exposed to my favorite fantasy, but the media’s helped them get excited about the event nonetheless. This year alone, I’ve seen my sisters reading books such as Prom, and now Disney Channel has come out with a movie called “Prom”. Expectations for prom are rising for young kids. By the time it’s their turn to experience the big night, I’m afraid that it might not be everything they dreamed for. Next year I will be a junior, the first year I’ll be able to attend and I’m so excited for the magic of the night. I’ve waited so many years to catch my own fairytale and I’ll admit, my expectations are pretty high.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/prom.aspx

Two things...
1) I will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:44:36 AM
Rate this:
Comment by ciaobella14

Thank you!!!
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:10:23 PM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Great essay! I loved your description and the anticipation you conveyed to the reader. Good luck on the contest on the very best of your upcoming dreams as a junior! =)
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:23:57 AM
Rate this:
Comment by ciaobella14

Thanks!! : )
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:33:36 PM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

ciaobella14,

Congratulations! Your essay is the winner of our April writing contest! Great Job!!!
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:23:11 AM
Rate this:
Comment by ciaobella14

Thank you!!!!! :D
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:19:52 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy