Prom: Catching a Fairytale

ciaobella14
It’s almost April. The petit droplets from the sky begin to fall, creating a wet shine on the already glamorous month when people begin to obsess over prom. The hallway is full of excitement, students chirping gossip back and forth about who’s asking who. But the excitement doesn’t end here; awareness about the amazing night of prom has spread to kids at younger and younger ages.

Before its even spring, it’s prom season in my small New Jersey high school. Colorful cupcakes spelling out p-r-o-m-? begin popping up in class. Huge banners asking the same show up in the cafeteria. Even sushi spells out the most popular word of the season. Sneaky cell phones slip out of pockets so that everyone can see the most perfect dress, heels, and makeup. And whatever room you walk into, someone is whispering about the popular theme.

The anxiety sinks in two days after tickets go on sale. Is he going to ask me? Should I ask him first? They’ll be on sale for another week, but no one has the patience to possibly wait that long. The excitement heightens to a new level as friend’s debate waiting to ask someone to prom. Some underclassmen give each other bemused looks. Why is this such a big deal? It’s just a fancier version of our last dance… Only the seniors can stay overnight at Wildwood anyway.

Although some people are naïve to the ‘huge’ milestone of prom, the majority have heard about it for years before high school. As I’m the oldest of four girls, I never had an older sibling to watch get ready for the big night. When I was in forth grade though, my babysitter invited my sisters and me to her house to see her and her friends before prom. I can still remember, six years later, how I thought I knew a princess. She looked gorgeous in her lavender gown, standing next to a tall, handsome boy in a suit (obviously a prince). When the limo pulled up my prediction was confirmed. No one would ride in such a car unless they were royalty. My babysitter was definitely a princess, and I couldn’t wait for my turn.

Now my sisters are in fifth and sixth grade. I don’t think they remember that day when I was exposed to my favorite fantasy, but the media’s helped them get excited about the event nonetheless. This year alone, I’ve seen my sisters reading books such as Prom, and now Disney Channel has come out with a movie called “Prom”. Expectations for prom are rising for young kids. By the time it’s their turn to experience the big night, I’m afraid that it might not be everything they dreamed for. Next year I will be a junior, the first year I’ll be able to attend and I’m so excited for the magic of the night. I’ve waited so many years to catch my own fairytale and I’ll admit, my expectations are pretty high.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/prom.aspx

Two things...
1) I will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:44:36 AM
Comment by ciaobella14

Thank you!!!
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:10:23 PM

Great essay! I loved your description and the anticipation you conveyed to the reader. Good luck on the contest on the very best of your upcoming dreams as a junior! =)
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:23:57 AM
Comment by ciaobella14

Thanks!! : )
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:33:36 PM

ciaobella14,

Congratulations! Your essay is the winner of our April writing contest! Great Job!!!
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:23:11 AM
Comment by ciaobella14

Thank you!!!!! :D
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:19:52 PM