Prom: A Necessary Evil

katimae
Adolescence has been labeled the time in our lives for us to be “different,” to “express ourselves,” and other cheesy sayings like that. Every teenager across America—including South Carolina, where I live—likes to think that he is unique during these years, and maybe there are a few distinctions between you and your classmates, such as style of fashion or taste in music. But for most of us, these varying degrees of originality only go so far. If we’re all being blatantly honest with ourselves, what concern is nearly always occupying our thoughts as we go through high school? The longing to fit in (regardless of the “be different” stereotype) and to do all the things we see portrayed in movies and books that say, “You’re growing up—this is what you do and how you do it.” These ‘tasks’ we seem to feel an obligation to complete are not always what’s best for us, nor are they easy to accomplish; but nonetheless, our stubbornness tends to win out and we ignore the roadblocks and plow on.
Of course, I’m not saying that fitting in will always bring negative repercussions. Sometimes good things can be brought out from a situation of mass “doers.” That’s why, besides the cost (endless arguing with parents over the outrageous price of this dress that is simply to die for!), stress of finding a group of friends or significant other to go with (why hasn’t anyone asked me yet?!), and –heaven forbid we forget—the hair and make-up preparation time it takes the night-of, prom is one of those necessary evils that brings a feeling of social completion to our high school careers.
I say that if going to prom can bring you that sense of completion, then what’s the harm? We have the rest of our lives to be discontent with so many open-endings that will undoubtedly arise. If you’re able to look past the stress, following the crowd and going to prom can be a major highlight of your younger years.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/prom.aspx

Two things...
1) I will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:45:15 AM

Great perspective on prom! I enjoyed reading your essay. Good luck!
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:05:46 AM