STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Prom: Is it really worth dying for?

Liljaime6
I woke up on a crisp autumn morning, thinking it would be just like any other day. I walked downstairs to find my mother mesmerized by the news. My brother, a junior at the time, ambled down to the kitchen shortly after I did.

“Do you know Jacob Ellman* and Aaron Kaplan*?” my mother demanded of my weary brother, tired from the previous night’s festivities. Yes, my brother had heard of both students. They were seniors. “They died last night.”

Those four words are haunting. I never knew Jacob or Aaron, but who would think that homecoming celebrations would result in the death of two students. Three of their friends were injured as well, including Jacob’s twin. The boys were at a party where they drank, smoked marijuana, and thought it would be fun to drive really fast down the street…until they hit the tree.

One would think that these shocking deaths would have shaken my town to its core. Yet three other students died within the two years following Jacob and Aaron’s deaths. All of these incidents were related to drinking and acting irresponsibly. It is innocent celebrations that schools sponsor, including homecoming and prom, that give bored, irrational high school students to engage in risky behaviors. Despite these horrifying deaths, alcohol and drug abuse are rampant in my community, particularly on the night of homecoming and prom. It makes you wonder…is prom really worth dying for?

Some girls dream of going to prom. “I’d die to go to prom this year!” they exaggerate. Yet they forget that students have died on the night of a school dance. “I’d do anything!” But is it worth it? The girls who aren’t asked to the dance are left with wounded self-esteem and a low self-image; they starve themselves or binge in an effort to be skinny. Those who are asked will do anything to be cool, even if it means drinking and driving, doing drugs, or engaging in sexual behavior that they are not comfortable with. Even students who don’t drink and drive can be hit by a car due to a student driver who didn’t make wise decisions. Even the drama caused by planning the night breaks apart friendships; it seems overdramatic that this would happen, but it really does.

I’m not saying that everyone’s prom experience is this negative. But a night that consists of an overpriced meal, an outrageously expensive dress that a girl only wears for one night, and a couple hours of dancing does not seem like a positive tradition. And surely the potential costs—date rape, alcohol poisoning, getting in an accident for driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, getting arrested—outweigh the benefits: a few hours of overpriced fun, and hundreds of pictures to post on Facebook.

Is prom a positive tradition? Sure, it’s a tradition, but is it really worth it? Would I die to go to prom? Honestly, I don’t think a night like prom is worth dying for.

*Note: Names have been changed
Rate this:
Comment by sunshine62

Very inspiring and touching, great job! :)
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 4:00:11 AM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/prom.aspx

Two things...
1) I will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:51:34 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy