Prom: A Truly Unmagical Experience

MSPorter
Prom is supposed to be this magical time. If you don’t go, you miss out on the biggest night of your high school life. If you do go, you are part of something that everyone remembers for the rest of their lives.
I bought into the whole idea that prom would be a life changing event for me. I spent five weekends dragging my poor mother to every dress shop looking for the perfect dress. When I found the dress, a four hundred dollar floor length teal ball gown with shimmery sequins sewn in to the bottom, I knew that all of the time I spent looking for that dress was worth it. That dress was “the one”. Still, it took another two weekends, and another four hundred dollars, to find the perfect shoes, purse, and jewelry to match my dress.
When prom day finally arrived, I was up early with excitement somewhat akin to how a child feels when they finally understand Christmas. I had a lot of work to do. I had a nine o’clock appointment at Nail Pro with my girlfriends. We sat and gossiped as the Chinese women filed, attached, and applied acrylic to our nails.
At one o’clock, I had an appointment with my hair stylist. I had picked out the perfect up do for my long tresses. After two painful hours and one hundred and thirty one bobby pins later, I left my stylist’s shop and returned home to don my outfit. With the help of my sister, I spent the next hour getting dressed and make up applied.
It was finally time to meet up with my friends and our dates for pictures and dinner. We took what seemed to be a million pictures of our silly selves, ate an overpriced dinner, and left for prom.
Prom was wonderful for all of five minutes. After I realized these were just the people I went to school with, we were in our poorly decorated basketball gym that smelled of sweat, and my date was a guy that meant nothing to me, the magic of the prom was gone. Of course, I danced and laughed with my friends at the already drunk couples making fools of themselves but this was just me hanging out with my friends in expensive clothes: Nothing new.
The night ended as it began with excitement for going somewhere, however, the excitement at the end of the night was I could finally go home, change into comfortable clothes, take out the torturous pins in my hair, and watch a bad romantic comedy with my sister.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/prom.aspx

Two things...
1) I will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:49:42 AM
Comment by MSPorter

Thank you mcoly618. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:38:02 AM

What a unique twist! Sometimes simplicity and comfort beats all. Good story and best of luck!
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:30:19 AM
Comment by MSPorter

Thank you!
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:56:46 PM