STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Prom: A Truly Unmagical Experience

MSPorter
Prom is supposed to be this magical time. If you don’t go, you miss out on the biggest night of your high school life. If you do go, you are part of something that everyone remembers for the rest of their lives.
I bought into the whole idea that prom would be a life changing event for me. I spent five weekends dragging my poor mother to every dress shop looking for the perfect dress. When I found the dress, a four hundred dollar floor length teal ball gown with shimmery sequins sewn in to the bottom, I knew that all of the time I spent looking for that dress was worth it. That dress was “the one”. Still, it took another two weekends, and another four hundred dollars, to find the perfect shoes, purse, and jewelry to match my dress.
When prom day finally arrived, I was up early with excitement somewhat akin to how a child feels when they finally understand Christmas. I had a lot of work to do. I had a nine o’clock appointment at Nail Pro with my girlfriends. We sat and gossiped as the Chinese women filed, attached, and applied acrylic to our nails.
At one o’clock, I had an appointment with my hair stylist. I had picked out the perfect up do for my long tresses. After two painful hours and one hundred and thirty one bobby pins later, I left my stylist’s shop and returned home to don my outfit. With the help of my sister, I spent the next hour getting dressed and make up applied.
It was finally time to meet up with my friends and our dates for pictures and dinner. We took what seemed to be a million pictures of our silly selves, ate an overpriced dinner, and left for prom.
Prom was wonderful for all of five minutes. After I realized these were just the people I went to school with, we were in our poorly decorated basketball gym that smelled of sweat, and my date was a guy that meant nothing to me, the magic of the prom was gone. Of course, I danced and laughed with my friends at the already drunk couples making fools of themselves but this was just me hanging out with my friends in expensive clothes: Nothing new.
The night ended as it began with excitement for going somewhere, however, the excitement at the end of the night was I could finally go home, change into comfortable clothes, take out the torturous pins in my hair, and watch a bad romantic comedy with my sister.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/prom.aspx

Two things...
1) I will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:49:42 AM
Rate this:
Comment by MSPorter

Thank you mcoly618. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:38:02 AM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

What a unique twist! Sometimes simplicity and comfort beats all. Good story and best of luck!
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:30:19 AM
Rate this:
Comment by MSPorter

Thank you!
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:56:46 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy