Prom: How much is that dress really worth?

callieeliza
Last year’s expenses: the deep royal blue dress itself-$380, the delicate alterations on the beading of the straps-$75, the glittering stoned silver shoes-$125, the ever so stylish hairdo-$87, the French nail gels-$105, the aqua blue stone earrings and ring-$60, the silver bag that matched perfectly-$36, and lastly the ridiculous amount of gas used to drive all over New Jersey to find these things-oh, somewhere around $200. A year later as I’m beginning my frantic prom search again, I am disgusted with the amount of money I spent! I wore the dress for a few hours, took some lovely pictures, danced the night away, but I could have easily enjoyed myself in a $50 dress versus the outlandish $380 I spent. The shoes-those lasted for about 10 minutes after I got into the ballroom of the hotel, they sat by my bag on the floor by my table for the remainder of the night. I spent too much. It doesn’t make a difference if you are wearing the latest hottest thing out there, there are a million other things better to do that sit around and worry about what you are wearing. Of course, I think ever girl should feel beautiful and special, who wouldn’t want that? But in all of reality, you will find yourself happy in just about anything. Go to prom with someone you know you’ll have a good time, whether that is your crush boyfriend, girl or guy friend. Make plans for after with the people you love to be around. Let loose and enjoy yourself. Don’t get caught up in the extravagance of prom because truth is when you look back on the night, you’re not going to be thinking about how amazing those shoes you spent a fortune on or how great that hundred dollar haircut was, you’re going to be remembering how insanely you and your friends danced to that favorite song of yours, what an amazing after prom you had, and how happy you felt in those last moments.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/prom.aspx

Two things...
1) I will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:52:38 AM

Great reality check! You offer a good opinion and view on the ,o,emts you look back on. Good luck!
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:44:21 AM