STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: A way of life that is used in many different ways by millions of people

audreyblainegodnick96
The cell phone gives people access to an unlimited amount of information but it can also impact people in a negative way. Wherever I go, I always see so many people on the street and in school using their phones. It’s insane how much you can do on one little device. I always use my phone to access the internet, make a phone call, play games, Blackberry Message on a Blackberry, and more. Almost everyone including me is always doing something on their phone! Cell phones are a very good tool. The internet is a good tool to help figure something out, or reach someone if necessary and there is an emergency. People can do so much on the phone. Facebook is a website that everyone has. I go on it almost every second and always have myself logged in on my phone because my phone has internet. I am always checking Facebook to see what’s going on with my friends and stuff. I love having the ability to go on my phone during school with no computer and check Facebook.
However, so many people are using their phones and it can possibly start turning into a problem. When I study for a test, I always try to stay focused. But once I hear my phone buzz, I make sure to look at it and I totally lose my focus. Although phones are a really good invention, they could definitely be a reason to why my grades could drop. In class if I get bored, although they aren’t allowed, I can easily take out my phone and go on Facebook on my phone, or play games or just text through the whole period and totally block out everything my teacher says.
An example of going on the phone during school, today in my class, I was very bored and really tired and we had a substitute teacher. I just took out my phone went on the internet, bbmed some of my friends, and played games. I love my phone and I use it almost every second of the day but my parents would take my phone away in a second if my grades start going downhill because they believe that I am on my phone too much doing the wrong things. When I was studying, my mom was in the room with me and I wouldn’t get off my phone and she was really close to taking my cell phone away because it is not benefiting me in the right way when I have a test coming up. Another problem that could occur and that is occurring is people are on their phones too much and are texting and talking on their phones while they are driving. This causes a huge distraction for people and major issues are occurring like car accidents.
On the news, almost every day there are many news reports about accidents that are occurring. In Chicago on April 19, 2009, four children got killed from a driver using their cell phone. This was reported in Chicago Car Accident Lawyers Blog. If I could change one thing with the media, it would be making people realize and making me realize that the phone isn’t such a major part of life and life can go on without having cell phones. Right now in life, I don’t think I could go a day without a cell phone and I hate that about myself. Cell phones are important to have for emergencies. However using them to go on the internet, to play games, to text, and to call people during school and while driving is not necessary. Although, texting, getting email, contacting people is a really important for everyday life, children need to focus on school more and adult’s need to focus on driving instead of getting anxious to check their phones when the little buzz is heard.
Rate this:
Comment by luluwhitney14

This is fabulous!
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 7:36:29 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy