STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: YouTube

laulau
One of the most difficult addictions for most teenagers these days, myself included, to stop is YouTube surfing. YouTube is so attractive because it inspires, challenges, and entertains individuals on a more personal level compared to other conventional forms of media, such as the television and newspaper. These mediums attempt to assert mainstream fashions or global issues onto the viewer by spoon-feeding them the information. YouTube, on the other hand, opens up ways in which one can directly interact with the presented information.

For instance, in traditional forms of media, there is no interaction between the news anchors on Good Morning America and the DirectTV subscriber. There is no interaction between LA Times comic fanatics and the comic artist himself. There is no interaction! The occasional “letter to the editor” column in the newspaper filters so many letters that it can hardly be mentioned as a genuine interaction between the author and reader.

However, YouTube does provide a personal relationship. It accomplishes it by connecting the world locally, nationally, and internationally. For instance, on March 11, the Japanese 8.9 Earthquake footage and news went viral instantly after the natural disaster passed and CNN television broadcasted it on U.S. news coverage. As a result, hundreds of popular YouTube video makers posted videos expressing their sympathy for the Japanese situation by raising money and sometimes even broadcasting their own donations. Hundreds of subscribers then responded in the commentary stating their personal opinions on the situation. This web of relationships reaches on all levels of society. Thus, YouTube is definitely one of my most important form of media.
Rate this:
Comment by kid wavy

Outstanding job! Great job using urbane grammar.
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 2:15:17 PM
Rate this:
Comment by AJPross96

great job i like how u compared youtube to other sources of media and how it is being used all over
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 2:43:09 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Precious

I agree with your post because youtube is one of the first things I grt on when im surfing the internet. My favorite thing to watch on youtube is music videos......what is you favorite thing to watch?
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 6:04:07 PM
Rate this:
Comment by laulau

Thanks for the comments! You're all so nice :D

This is my first time actually posting stuff on this website, so I didn't know that you were supposed to turn in your essays according to Pacific Standard Time (I think)...I kinda panicked and just submitted whatever my rough draft was, which is why it's sounds choppy and ends bluntly, haha.

Anyways, apparently I can edit my post also. I should probably do that, and to answer your question I love watching random funnies like nigahiga and music videos also (yay!)
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:44:07 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy