STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: Internal Messaging

Spirit_38
This is an essay for the high-school-level March writing contest.

State: Maryland

No novel or iPhone or Mac computer can connect me to my grandmother – a five-foot, Japanese ex-pianist who lies, unconscious, on her hospital bed. Yet, her anguish merely parallels that of the rubble-covered victims of her home country. When natural forces and fate meet to undo ephemeral life, no newspaper or sympathy card or plasma-screen TV can bridge the gap between aching hearts and washed-out human life.
Can any communication medium bridge this gap? Is there any consistently stable mode of communication that can simultaneously calm the tempestuous heart, still the churning mind, connect the soul to lost loved ones, shatter external shackles, and level self-glorification to collaboration’s fertile ground? There is one such medium: prayer.
Rationalists may dismiss prayer as an illogical source of illusory hope. Yet, logic is often meaningless, as transient humans often use logic selectively to justify their actions. As prayer involves communicating with the hidden power that ultimately drives the complex universe and transforms human life, prayer provides a stable source of hope that becomes one’s new reality.
When suffocating under life’s onerous rubble, one can only move on and reach the outside world through prayer: “Please, God, save us, for we don’t know what to do.” Rather than depending on inconsistent mortals who may not respond, prayer rests on the supernatural. Spirituality gives us the hope that an omnipotent mediator of life and death will answer our prayers in some manner. By riding on the will of an omnipotent creator that considers all prayers when shaping all lives, prayer effectually reaches the masses. Rather than emitting physical messages that can get lost, prayer occurs internally as a spiritual communication form that involves believing without seeing, loving without hearing. Those who consistently pray receive a consistent, supernatural response: an ineradicable hope that grows from within.
Rather than simply providing another communication method, prayer has transformed the way that I see and use all other forms of media. Whether I read spiritual literature or email my friend a prayer, I never obsess over one communication method. Rather, prayer has taught me to use various media as mere implements for a greater purpose: to share my spiritual hope with others. In fact, spiritual introspection has taught me that we all belong to a greater whole that depends on collaboration. Thus, by driving me to strengthen others, prayer maximizes my own life purpose. Ultimately, prayer reveals the purpose behind every calamity: what one sees as disastrous may communicate lessons or purge evil or redirect lives – something that is productive for nature’s whole creation.
Prayer shall never grow obsolete. Whether one worships himself or a God above, the desperate almost always pray to something. Even my agnostic uncle, who recently contracted lymphoma, prayed for favorable lab results – for now, his prayer has been answered. Indeed, prayer gives us the hope that we will live on and reunite with lost loved ones – a hope that no other medium can instantly provide during life’s moments of dark despair.
Rate this:
Comment by kinzie52

when i first glanced at this essay i had no idea it would be so creative! prayer as a form of media- thats extremely clever. I agree though- it's powerful and impacts the way we communicate and use other forms of media as well. I liked how you went in to all the different facets of prayer too. you did a wonderful job. Good luck!
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 9:49:04 PM
Rate this:
Comment by michness

bbontempo3,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.

Michelle
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:33:09 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy