Media: Internal Messaging

Spirit_38
This is an essay for the high-school-level March writing contest.

State: Maryland

No novel or iPhone or Mac computer can connect me to my grandmother – a five-foot, Japanese ex-pianist who lies, unconscious, on her hospital bed. Yet, her anguish merely parallels that of the rubble-covered victims of her home country. When natural forces and fate meet to undo ephemeral life, no newspaper or sympathy card or plasma-screen TV can bridge the gap between aching hearts and washed-out human life.
Can any communication medium bridge this gap? Is there any consistently stable mode of communication that can simultaneously calm the tempestuous heart, still the churning mind, connect the soul to lost loved ones, shatter external shackles, and level self-glorification to collaboration’s fertile ground? There is one such medium: prayer.
Rationalists may dismiss prayer as an illogical source of illusory hope. Yet, logic is often meaningless, as transient humans often use logic selectively to justify their actions. As prayer involves communicating with the hidden power that ultimately drives the complex universe and transforms human life, prayer provides a stable source of hope that becomes one’s new reality.
When suffocating under life’s onerous rubble, one can only move on and reach the outside world through prayer: “Please, God, save us, for we don’t know what to do.” Rather than depending on inconsistent mortals who may not respond, prayer rests on the supernatural. Spirituality gives us the hope that an omnipotent mediator of life and death will answer our prayers in some manner. By riding on the will of an omnipotent creator that considers all prayers when shaping all lives, prayer effectually reaches the masses. Rather than emitting physical messages that can get lost, prayer occurs internally as a spiritual communication form that involves believing without seeing, loving without hearing. Those who consistently pray receive a consistent, supernatural response: an ineradicable hope that grows from within.
Rather than simply providing another communication method, prayer has transformed the way that I see and use all other forms of media. Whether I read spiritual literature or email my friend a prayer, I never obsess over one communication method. Rather, prayer has taught me to use various media as mere implements for a greater purpose: to share my spiritual hope with others. In fact, spiritual introspection has taught me that we all belong to a greater whole that depends on collaboration. Thus, by driving me to strengthen others, prayer maximizes my own life purpose. Ultimately, prayer reveals the purpose behind every calamity: what one sees as disastrous may communicate lessons or purge evil or redirect lives – something that is productive for nature’s whole creation.
Prayer shall never grow obsolete. Whether one worships himself or a God above, the desperate almost always pray to something. Even my agnostic uncle, who recently contracted lymphoma, prayed for favorable lab results – for now, his prayer has been answered. Indeed, prayer gives us the hope that we will live on and reunite with lost loved ones – a hope that no other medium can instantly provide during life’s moments of dark despair.
Comment by kinzie52

when i first glanced at this essay i had no idea it would be so creative! prayer as a form of media- thats extremely clever. I agree though- it's powerful and impacts the way we communicate and use other forms of media as well. I liked how you went in to all the different facets of prayer too. you did a wonderful job. Good luck!
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 9:49:04 PM
Comment by michness

bbontempo3,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle