STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: Our Generation Relies On It

screwsociety
I'll admit it. Teenagers are whiny, compulsive, reckless, lazy, spoiled, broken, etc. Every now and again there's a normal, happy teenager. But there's also kids who scream, yell, and are spoiled rotten. We have attitude and dirty mouths. Welcome to our disastrous youth. This is currently our generation where 13 year olds don't only have boyfriends, but engage in promiscuous activities. It's not uncommon to hear offensive words thrown around in elementary school. I remember last year, 8th grade, I was helping a teacher in a little kid's classroom. 'Cooties' doesn't even seem to exist anymore. And now, add media to the already screwed up generation. Let's see. Cell phones? 5 year olds have one. Computers? We'll spend time on social networking websites or blogging the day awake. Music? Some say it's "life", but it is essential. We find all of this on the internet, I don't even know where to begin but that's the beginning of everything we talk about, what we rely on. We find all of this on the internet. TV used to be of higher quality back in the day but from there it's gone downhill. Family Guy has it right. "Where are all those good old fashioned values on which we used to reply?" It's true that now "all you see now is violence and s** on TV". Shows are vulgar, some pointless like celebrities living their rich, pampered lives or reality TV - just completely & effortlessly stupid. Yet, we rely on TV. We rely on everything involved with computers. Way back when, teenagers didn't have much of a media variety to choose from. Parents didn't have to say "Hey kids, do you want to go outside? It's a nice day." Back then, we'd already be out. Nowadays, when they ask us it's a groan and "No, it's fine" while we rapidly click away on our computers; our mind already on something else. We rely so much on the internet, more than any previous generation; it's quite sad really what an obsession we have no matter the size of it. We need it. Or we think we do. Media's important to me, whether I like it or not. It impacts my life negatively and positively. Positively because it's necessary for certain things. It's nice so I can talk to people, watch movies, and overall - it's nice. And we like nice things, don't we? But it's also negative, because I may turn my computer on and talk to a couple of people, laugh a bit, listen to music (yet another form of media we obsess with) and I'll find that it's already been an hour. It's a waste of times sometimes, it truly is. It distracts you from doing things you said you were going to do but never did because you saw your computer. Media's inevitable. There's no way around it. I see why some choose to live an easier life without it, it's powerful. It's an entity in everyone's lives. Some hate it, but kids, teenagers, college students - it's this generation growing with more and more forms of media that it's essential. You need the internet. Don't you have something to research? What if you want to talk to a friend? Watch a movie? Check out a new song? There's good and bad to media, but either way, we rely on it. This generation needs it, wants it, and we got it; so we're going to use it.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy