Media: Singed Threads

ReadingLolitaInTehran
Media: Singed Threads

No matter how many minutes pass by, I am still left staring at the blinking cursor. How do I say what I’m feeling when typed words can’t portray how deep my emotions run?

I want to tell her how genuinely regretful I feel and how without her by my side, I won’t be able to stand because there is no one left to lean on.

I read the new message and feel my lungs ache in hurt and my brows furrow from the weight of acute sorrow.

One landmine after another exploded effortlessly widening the already gaping wound. She had single-handedly sabotaged my hope, my self-esteem, and my trust I foolishly gave blindly to her.

It seemed as the though the caps-locked letters were screaming at me from the screen until they blurred together and obscured my vision. I couldn’t help but let the tear fall.

And then suddenly a new message appeared.

I resolutely deleted it. I would not be the one to break down from our silent raging battle; I would prove that I didn’t need her. Listening to her venomous words would disintegrate my last fond memories of our friendship.

I couldn’t resist reading it, though. I imagined she would be the one to let down her tough façade and tell me how sorry she was - how she hadn’t meant to post hurtful and derogatory remarks online where everyone could see.

Instead I received the opposite. I could feel the truth slam behind my eyes until the pressure grew exponentially.

How do I say what I’m feeling when typed words can’t portray how deep my emotions run?

For once, I’m glad that I can hide behind the 12-point Arial font.
Comment by michness

ReadingLolitaInTehran,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle

Deep. Very deep. A good example of how today's media can be used so agressively to break a person down. I still believe that it comes down to the people and how they use it. I truly hope this was a fictional story. If not, my regards to you. Great essay!
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:34:40 AM
Comment by kinzie52

this was intense. especially since we all seem to use media to fit us personally. your writing was a good example of how we use media to communicate and how it leaves an imprint upon us. good job writing it.
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:23:40 AM
Comment by ReadingLolitaInTehran

Thanks! Yeah, it was a true story. Somehow, I managed to forgive her, though. It's hard feuding with someone who has been through everything with you. This definitely left an imprint on me; it was a big turning point in our friendship. Anyways, thanks again! I didn't think I would actually become a finalist!
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 12:39:11 AM