Media: Defining the iGeneration

arauh
In today’s society, teens and young adults in Michigan find themselves engulfed in more media than ever before. Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and Tumblr are deeply ingrained in our daily routine. We instantly converse, view pictures, watch videos, and listen to eyewitness accounts of wars, natural disasters, protests, and other occurrences from around the world. The traditional means of communication that once predominated the landscape – television, radio, and print – no longer fulfill our information needs, and therefore, play little, if any, role in our lives. My generation prefers constant, real-time news updates from Twitter and RSS feeds rather than a television or newspaper. With modern technology, I can acquire the facts on any event literally seconds after it happens, from any location. Without a doubt, the internet impacts my life more than any other form of media and greatly affects how I interact with the world around me.
As a part of this generation defined by constant contact and immediate notifications, I depend on the world-wide web for education, interaction, and entertainment. Like many of my peers, I “tweet” to build connections, “Skype” to connect and do homework with friends, and text to keep in touch with classmates. I also communicate through websites like Reddit, Digg, and Facebook to obtain data for school or discuss news from across the globe. Unlike traditional media, the internet offers an inexhaustible, extensive resource of information, and provides a tool to connect with those who share views and interests. Furthermore, mobile technology has allowed for a new status quo of interactive media to form, empowering any individual to make an impact on others. With a single blog post or video on YouTube, a person could potentially speak to thousands, or even millions, around the world. I can actively take part in online discussions with friends and even government or industry leaders about significant issues, like U.S. involvement in foreign nations, such as Libya, or government heath care, via blogs and Twitter. Conventional media sources do not allow for this type of dialogue, but the internet provides an opportunity to play an active role in shaping history and participate in world events. With this capacity to effect society, my generation is more compelled to engage in this new media.
Finally, the internet provides an vehicle to obtain first-hand, personal accounts from those involved in occurrences around the world. This ability to see news unfiltered, from the front lines, helps me form a more well-rounded and educated opinion. With the recent tsunami and earthquake in Japan, I could read tweets, as well as view videos and pictures that the Japanese people themselves had uploaded, not just what major news outlets such as BBC, ABC, or NBC decided to cover. The internet imparts the actual experience, not simply the story. Traditional media cannot exploit this invaluable worldwide human network.
Comment by michness

arauh,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle