Media: I Like it Black, White, and Read All Over

sullysolipsism
There’s advertising, broadcast, digital, electronic, hyper-, mass, multi-, news, and social media. To name a few. But squeezed into dusty corners reserved for antediluvian ancients like myself, there’s also a kind of media that is often forgotten in the seizure-inducing haze of disco-reminiscent electronica clouding the media horizon: print media.

Print media influences me above and beyond any other form of media. It remains the oldest form of media, stemming back to 3500 BC when cylinder seals were still used in ancient Mesopotamia and the iPhone would have been worshiped as a glowing god sent from the gates of heaven.

It’s through print media that we can look back through time and study Plato’s view on philosophy, Plutarch’s comparison of Greek and Roman heroes, Shakespeare’s soliloquies, and Dickinson’s scribbled poetry. It’s through print media that we delve into worlds, lives, thoughts, and beliefs not our own. It’s through print media that humanity is bound together in one common love of knowledge, learning, and legacy.

As a child, it was not with an iPod or a laptop that I curled into the boughs of the Bradford pear tree in the backyard, but rather with Johnny Tremain and Huckleberry Finn. As I grew older, my companions evolved into Robinson Crusoe, Lily Bart, Oliver Twist, Jane Eyre, and Bartleby the Scrivener.

Everyone knows to be wary of the airbrushed, malnourished models gracing the covers of Seventeen and Vogue, that radio and TV ads are doing everything within their power to manipulate their audience to buy their products, that we spend far too much time drooling over our computer screens and not speaking face-to-face with our friends and family. All this has become common knowledge, and yet we continue to buy subscriptions to Seventeen, listen to the radio, and spend hours a day on our computers.

Books, on the other hand, remain the most trustworthy media-source, the things our teachers prefer on our bibliographies over the most reliable URL addresses. Books have survived the test of time. Books have proved tired and true. And when the day is dead and done, future historians will study not our YouTube videos so much as our literature.

Electronic media may have a wide grip on society, but so does print media. Through what other outlet can millions of people throughout history all relate to Sir Ivanhoe and the lovely Rowena? I’ve always been awed by the fact that I can read and enjoy the same book as Charlotte and Emily Bronte. Print media has bound humanity together with a shared heritage, a shared history, and a shared passion since the naissance of primordial hieroglyphs and ideographs.

As such, it is print media that influences me the most. When I feel the beginnings of a headache tapping at my frontal lobe after a rollercoaster ride of kaleidoscopic sound and color at the theater or on YouTube, I’m always ready for the monochromatic simplicity of the printed page. Even when the future is unsure, we still have our past.
Comment by kinzie52

this was such an amazing essay! You have a beautiful style of writing, and the fact that you including relevant examples makes your writing stand out even more. I agree with your ideas, too. Print media is huge- and you displayed it perfectly. not to mention, the way you ended your last line was brilliant! It's cool to reflect on the fact that print has been around for ages, still is, and still makes a big impact. good luck with the contest!
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 9:42:07 PM
Comment by sullysolipsism

Why, tharnk ya! :)
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:37:08 AM
Comment by michness

sissysulli,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle

I really enjoyed reading your essay. You have a very unique way of putting across your view and supporting it by example. You did a great job with this writing! Good luck.
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:33:27 AM
Comment by bugcandy

Hey Sissysulli,

You've been so active on the site with your writing...we love it. Well...it's paid off. I wanted to personally let you know that your essay about teens and the media is the winner of our March student writing contest.

I will be emailing you (from the email you used to register for the site) with next steps on sending you the prizes.

Congratulations!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:15:39 AM
Comment by Justina

Congratulations!! :}
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:27:27 AM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Great tikhnnig! That really breaks the mold!
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:11:06 AM