Media: Always in Existence... When in Print, That is

ciaobella14
Written by Felicia Czochanski from Metuchen, NJ. I would love for my work to be featured in the media!

Dearest Editor,

Earlier this hour I took a walk around my neighborhood to clear my head so that what I write to you can be as genuine as possible. This has been a breakthrough month in the history of this newspaper, The New York Times, yet I don’t think I will celebrate. I will tell you with utmost sincerity that I am quite proud of this paper to take the use of modern technology to its’ maximum limit, and that this was a great idea, in a sense. But online subscriptions? Somehow I still feel depressed when thinking about it.

It seems like a tradition is now officially over and I was too naïve to notice the signs. I can guiltily admit to subscribing to e-mail news alerts, and perhaps I would read those more frequently than the actual print newspaper because it was more convenient. All forms of electronic media are so convenient though, hitherto! One can turn on the computer, the TV, a cell phone and receive the exact information they were looking for in less than a minute. Nonetheless, I would prefer the scent of a fresh newspaper to any lucrative plasma screen.

There are more reasons to my opinion than simply my own preference. The practice of receiving and providing information through print newspapers is one that changed the world before the idea of electronic media was even conceived. Newspapers were the trailblazers for spreading news throughout the world, and they should not be replaced with an online version just because they are not the newest, most convenient fad.

I want to write for a living. I want to go into journalism, PRINT journalism. I dream of writing for the most prestigious newspapers in the country, including this one, informing people of what’s going on in an interesting way. And I want people to be able to hold my work in their hands. Maybe get a few ink smudges on their fingers if they’re lucky. If online subscriptions to newspapers continue, this will never be possible.

Earlier this year I took a journalism class online, and the topic came up that in the near future it would be possible for print publications to become online publications. Immediately I wrote this off in my brain as impossible, having no clue that just a few months subsequent what my teacher had predicted would actually happen.

Newspapers have moved me in so many ways. They have conveyed touching and heartbreaking stories, and fantastic events to me and the rest of their dedicated readers countless times, in a way that no online article could. With a newspaper there is no screen between the print and the reader. The reader can literally feel the expertly scribed words on the black and grey page. They can connect with the stories before actually reading them. With a print newspaper, the stories become so much more real and important. And even if the power dies, they are still in existence.

Kindest Regards,

Felicia Czochanski
(aka ciaobella14)
Comment by michness

ciaobella14,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle

Very nice! Like you, I am a little saddened by the lack of 'news print" today. It is so hard to comprehend for me, the end of an era. But, then again, it seems that many things from the past seem to retro back into the present. Take the LP or record for example! Keep your dreams alive!
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:51:36 AM
Comment by ciaobella14

@michness- thank you so much for letting me know!! i am so honored! :)
@toorockmysoul - Thanks! It does definately seem like something that was once so huge is coming to an end, but hopefully it will come back like the record! Thanks for your support:)
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:48:26 PM