STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: How the Internet Changed my Life

Umar Ali
Mian Umar Ali

It would have been quite an obstacle for an individual to answer the question “what is media?” a few decades primarily because people did not have the privilege to use other forms of media except for the simple radio. However, this has immensely changed over the course of years as we have entered an era of new technologic advancements and the generation of kids with completely different mind frames than those of previous generations. Kids of today’s generation have grown up being surrounded by media all the time. Nowadays, the question “what is media?” can easily be answered by any age group because media has become hugely prevalent in our lives today.

I will not be exaggerating by saying that I spend more than 6 hours using or being exposed to the media everyday whether at home or school. I start off my day turning on my iphone to view texts or emails. Then I browse Yahoo news to check on any latest news that might be going on. Just doing this sums up the first 2 hours of my day since waking up. This clearly shows the huge impact of media in my life. However, the form of media that impacts my life the most is the internet. Ever since the rise of Internet Explorer and other new emerging web browsers, the internet has left all other media types behind. Unlike in the past where people reached for their newspapers to learn about the current events, now people run for their computers. I get my daily dose of news from Yahoo News since it is a quicker way of just getting on the internet and accessing news about almost anything you want that a news channel would take forever to make. Plus, it gets updated every minute so it is always new. Not only does the internet help me get my daily news, but it also facilitates me in keeping my grades high by helping me make an A on research projects, therefore keeping my parents happy with me, too.

There is a little story that I would like to share to show how the internet has impacted my life. My dad usually goes out of country for business matters. Usually, when he travels, he calls using telephone booths at the airport to let us know where he is. Unfortunately, during that business trip he lost his wallet, which meant he could not have called us. It was now two hours past since the time his flight was to have arrived. My family was getting concerned about his status. All of a sudden I got a call from my dad on Yahoo Messenger on my computer. He told us how he had lost his wallet and had to use the free Wi-Fi service on his laptop to let us know he was fine. Ever since the happening of this event, I have come to realize the importance media plays in one’s life, primarily the internet.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy