Media: How the Internet Changed my Life

Umar Ali
Mian Umar Ali

It would have been quite an obstacle for an individual to answer the question “what is media?” a few decades primarily because people did not have the privilege to use other forms of media except for the simple radio. However, this has immensely changed over the course of years as we have entered an era of new technologic advancements and the generation of kids with completely different mind frames than those of previous generations. Kids of today’s generation have grown up being surrounded by media all the time. Nowadays, the question “what is media?” can easily be answered by any age group because media has become hugely prevalent in our lives today.

I will not be exaggerating by saying that I spend more than 6 hours using or being exposed to the media everyday whether at home or school. I start off my day turning on my iphone to view texts or emails. Then I browse Yahoo news to check on any latest news that might be going on. Just doing this sums up the first 2 hours of my day since waking up. This clearly shows the huge impact of media in my life. However, the form of media that impacts my life the most is the internet. Ever since the rise of Internet Explorer and other new emerging web browsers, the internet has left all other media types behind. Unlike in the past where people reached for their newspapers to learn about the current events, now people run for their computers. I get my daily dose of news from Yahoo News since it is a quicker way of just getting on the internet and accessing news about almost anything you want that a news channel would take forever to make. Plus, it gets updated every minute so it is always new. Not only does the internet help me get my daily news, but it also facilitates me in keeping my grades high by helping me make an A on research projects, therefore keeping my parents happy with me, too.

There is a little story that I would like to share to show how the internet has impacted my life. My dad usually goes out of country for business matters. Usually, when he travels, he calls using telephone booths at the airport to let us know where he is. Unfortunately, during that business trip he lost his wallet, which meant he could not have called us. It was now two hours past since the time his flight was to have arrived. My family was getting concerned about his status. All of a sudden I got a call from my dad on Yahoo Messenger on my computer. He told us how he had lost his wallet and had to use the free Wi-Fi service on his laptop to let us know he was fine. Ever since the happening of this event, I have come to realize the importance media plays in one’s life, primarily the internet.