Media: Stuck Like Glue to the Screen

artfreak889
My name is Julia, and I live in Maryland.

Well today, he and I took a much-needed break from each other. Thank goodness it's over. And I saved a little money too!

It was a love-hate relationship, I suppose. Without even mincing words: he was a mentally abusive addiction. Looking back on it now, getting rid of him was the best idea I ever had. I mean, on one hand, he made me feel worthless. I've always been told there's always more talented people out there—but really now, it's just depressing to be shown the proof every single day. There I would be, lying on the couch, asking for a bit of sympathy, but no. That was simply too much to ask. I always hated the fact that he had no tact. He was always judgmental and rude. And honestly, I do believe he focused way too much on the negatives. Since when was the last time he actually said some uplifting news? Do you remember?

But he was entertaining, you know, "spiced" my boring life, and that was his whole purpose. He kept me socially informed. That was the sole reason I forked up money out of my pocket—to keep him. That was the sole reason why Americans today spend nearly five hours of their day to stare at him.

I'm sure you realize what I've been talking about. Yes, that's right—I'm talking about the life that is television invasion. The same television that brainwashes me into thinking that beautiful is defined as a stick. And the same television that responds to resulting backlash by airing women with impossible curves that I'll never have. The television that reports the newest reality drama or a celebrity's red carpet style before a partial nuclear meltdown or a war in Libya.

The device that can be readily used as a propaganda-spewing tool. The corrupt electronic that follows money, and wherever that money is. The thing that keeps me up at night, and leaves me sleep-deprived.

The monster that destroys my self-esteem, my grades, and my knowledge. The monster I worshipped and devoted myself to.

But then I cancelled my cable. That one simple decision freed me from its grip. I guess I could lie and say it was a hard choice that I struggled to keep; perhaps that'll be the difference between winning and losing this contest. But the truth is, after the initial goodbye, it's been easy. Almost as if he were never in my life.

And frankly, I'd like it to stay that way.
Comment by Justina

At first, I thought this was going to be about your (boy) friend who did not support you because of his media addiction - but I'm so glad it's not, haha! Great job with this essay.
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:42:54 AM
Comment by michness

artfreak889,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle
Comment by kinzie52

an awesome introduction!
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:15:43 AM