STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: A Miracle-A Little Thing Called Skype

Ekstein
After driving seven hours in the cramped car with my entire family, our dog, and boxes and boxes of random belongings, we finally pulled into the driveway of an unfamiliar house. “My new home, Great.” I thought to myself sarcastically. I’m only sixteen years old and I’ve done my far share of moving in my life. Six times... to be exact. I normally don’t mind packing up and saying a quick farewell to my friends knowing that I’ll rarely ever see them again; but this time it was different.
Over the past 2 years that I had lived in Powell, Ohio, I had actually made good friends. No, great friends. People who actually cried when I told them I was moving. People who made me want to cry before I could tell them that I was moving. They were my first group of really good friends who I actually wanted to keep in contact with after I moved.
So, sitting on the floor of my new empty room I thought about what I had to do in order to break my bad habit of killing long-distance relationships like flies. I knew how hard long distance relationships were to keep, but then I realized I live in the 21st century. New technological advances in media are occurring everyday and those new gadgets can only make it easier. I made a list of everything that was going to help me survive this move; my Cell Phone, Texting, E-mail, Aim, Facebook. I couldn’t imagine trying to keep a long distance relationship in the 18th century; It would probably only consist of a letter once a month!
I imagined myself calling my friends everyday asking them how school had gone and what they were up to next, but I knew it wouldn’t be the same. I wanted to actually be there and talk to them. To help them pick out their dresses for prom and help them by looking at that one Calculus problem that no one could figure out. Best friends aren’t best friends without being able to do those things and I thought without a miracle I wouldn’t be able to do those things.
But the answer to all my problems came when I stumbled across Skype.
Skype saved me from moving across the country without best friends to rely on. The video chatting program developed in 2003 only became popular in the past couple years and now it has 663 million users! I decided to give it a try and I’m glad I did. With a webcam I can talk to all my friends and actually see them . It is the closest thing to actually being there and I Skype my friends in Ohio everyday- even if it is for just 5 minutes- it makes all the difference.
Rate this:
Comment by ciaobella14

This is such a great story! I'm so glad you and your friends are keeping touch.. I know how tough it can be! My best friend moved last summer to London and we've been Skyping a few times a month.. but it's still not the same as having her here every day. You're amazing that you Skype with them every day! With the time difference and our schedules, it's difficult to keep up with each other. Good luck in the contest :) !
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 8:59:46 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy