STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: The Basis of a Teenager's Life

Writer996
My name is Sydney, I live in Vancouver, B.C.

There is no question about it, media is the ruler of a teenager's life. Whether it be television, video games, social networking sites or cell phones, a teenager is always tuned in.

I am no exception. As a teenager, my morning begins with a blind grab for my cell phone. The screen lights up, temporarily impairing my vision. If there's a text message, I check it. If there's an email, I read it. I finish my morning routine with a Twitter update. I change my status, read the tweets I missed while sleeping and sign off.

Throughout the day I respond to numerous texts, read through any new emails and visit my favorite creative writing sites to see if there are any new posts.
On my way home from school, I turn on my iPod and plug back in.

As you can clearly see, I am what you could call obsessed with technology. I wouldn't know what to do without it because it has become the center of my very being. There isn't a day that goes by without my phone. Every day without fail, the battery is completely drained from use.

I am proud to say that I am very careful when using media. Others, however, are not. Teenagers online are constantly being bullied, sexually harassed and exploited. The reason for this is unnecessary exposure. Teenagers don't realize that every time they post their photograph, name and age on the internet it's out there for good, there's no taking it back. For this reason, teenagers are put in a very bad light regarding technology. There are thousands of nude photographs and an unlimited supply of personal information stored on the internet because teenagers willingly put it there.

Technology is ripping families apart. Teenagers are isolating themselves, preferring to play video games than go on a walk with their family. This leads to teenagers hiding their problems, blogging it to the world but never letting their parents in.

The average teenager has hundreds more FaceBook friends than real friends and more followers on Twitter than the people in their school.

In many ways, media is a good thing. It provides easy access to educational information, news stories and how-to articles.

Media is the center of a teenager's world. Whether that is a good or a bad thing is debatable but as with anything, media has it's pros and cons. Either way, technology and the media is here to stay and teenagers will keep using it until the next best thing comes out.
Rate this:
Comment by guagus13

I agree with you....we teenagers need to learn to use the media in the best possible way. ;)
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:06:25 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy