Media: The Basis of a Teenager's Life

Writer996
My name is Sydney, I live in Vancouver, B.C.

There is no question about it, media is the ruler of a teenager's life. Whether it be television, video games, social networking sites or cell phones, a teenager is always tuned in.

I am no exception. As a teenager, my morning begins with a blind grab for my cell phone. The screen lights up, temporarily impairing my vision. If there's a text message, I check it. If there's an email, I read it. I finish my morning routine with a Twitter update. I change my status, read the tweets I missed while sleeping and sign off.

Throughout the day I respond to numerous texts, read through any new emails and visit my favorite creative writing sites to see if there are any new posts.
On my way home from school, I turn on my iPod and plug back in.

As you can clearly see, I am what you could call obsessed with technology. I wouldn't know what to do without it because it has become the center of my very being. There isn't a day that goes by without my phone. Every day without fail, the battery is completely drained from use.

I am proud to say that I am very careful when using media. Others, however, are not. Teenagers online are constantly being bullied, sexually harassed and exploited. The reason for this is unnecessary exposure. Teenagers don't realize that every time they post their photograph, name and age on the internet it's out there for good, there's no taking it back. For this reason, teenagers are put in a very bad light regarding technology. There are thousands of nude photographs and an unlimited supply of personal information stored on the internet because teenagers willingly put it there.

Technology is ripping families apart. Teenagers are isolating themselves, preferring to play video games than go on a walk with their family. This leads to teenagers hiding their problems, blogging it to the world but never letting their parents in.

The average teenager has hundreds more FaceBook friends than real friends and more followers on Twitter than the people in their school.

In many ways, media is a good thing. It provides easy access to educational information, news stories and how-to articles.

Media is the center of a teenager's world. Whether that is a good or a bad thing is debatable but as with anything, media has it's pros and cons. Either way, technology and the media is here to stay and teenagers will keep using it until the next best thing comes out.
Comment by guagus13

I agree with you....we teenagers need to learn to use the media in the best possible way. ;)
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:06:25 PM