Media: Dare to Dream

acc
There are over 48 million users on YouTube.

I am just one of them.

It's neither realistic nor practical, but my childhood dream was to become a singer. Thanks to the internet revolution and with a little hard work, I have settled into a cozy little niche on YouTube. So chances are you won't see me on the front page. But when you do find me, you'll discover a channel that over a thousand people have subscribed to, and a page with over thirty videos of me singing and playing guitar. It wasn't easy getting that far, but what I discovered along the way is that the pursuit of seemingly naïve dreams can yield unexpected results with the help of the internet media.

Music has always been a part of my life; since I was young I participated faithfully in school choirs, dressed up in pop star costumes for Halloween, and idolized Britney Spears. From the age of 9, I woke up early every Saturday morning to make the hour long drive into Boston for a full day of music lessons. In addition to piano, I also studied violin, music theory, sight reading, played in the orchestra, and sang in the youth choir. Over the years, I came to realize that my favorite musical activity was singing. As my voice developed, I was determined to find some way to accompany my own singing.

So one day, I decided to pick up my father's twenty-year-old guitar, slowly learning chord positions and pressing down on the strings until the indentations on my fingers seemed permanent. Soon, I was singing and playing my guitar ceaselessly, much to the dismay of my slightly disgruntled parents. Although initially they were suspicious that all this strumming might be an elaborate method of homework avoidance, eventually they recognized my dedication and commitment. I soon became confident enough to fling myself into cyberspace. I immediately started posting videos on YouTube of me playing my guitar and singing. I remember the day when my "Replay" video finally hit 100,000 views; I was ecstatic and so grateful for the viewers who made that proud moment possible.

With every positive comment from the YouTube audience, I became encouraged and motivated to record more. Of course occasionally, I would find negative comments, poorly spelled criticisms with questionable grammar. Yet the positive far outweighed the negative, and it never failed to bring a smile to my face when I received an email message saying that I had gained another subscriber.

This YouTube experience was the first thing that truly inspired me. I realized that when I was doing something I really loved, the work that went into it became pure pleasure. The YouTube media has helped me to accomplish what I did not think I could by encouraging me to take a positive step in realizing my dreams. Most importantly, I have learned that it is in the pursuit of the dream that one learns, grows, and creates a new reality.