Media: A Way of Life

puppip
Today our world is ruled by what we all know as media. But what is media? A way of communication to be exact. That means anything from the modern newspaper and radio to the post-modern internet and cellular phones. They all do the same thing, just in different ways. Throughout the early nineteen-hundreds media was mostly a way to find out national and international news. When the president was giving a speech or how the war was going over in Europe. Today media is to communicate with friends and family while still finding out what is happening around the world. Many teenagers today seem to be taking advantage of this tool.
One of the most popular websites on the internet are Facebook and Twitter. Anyone with access of a computer can join these websites and chat with other people. Teenagers use them to talk to friends and other people from school or across the country. A lot of times it has been used to make fun of other people. By posting pictures and statuses, anyone can get hurt and it can never be erased. These people are not responsible enough to use the internet, which was originally created for people to get information from. Sadly, this cannot be stopped completely, and schools are not always able to step in. Looking aside, there are many more positive aspects of media that encourage teenagers every day.
On March 11, 2011 a massive earthquake hit Japan and a tsunami quickly followed. Thousands died and millions were misplaced from their homes. Online media has helped immensely in these times of catastrophes. Yahoo started a fundraiser as soon as the first day for earthquake relief. After only one week over eighty-five thousand people have donated over five million dollars to Japan. Without that money hundreds of people would not get food or shelter. Some media even joins teenagers together that have similar interests, creating life-long friendships.
Though today’s media is not always being used for the best of reasons, there are great reasons why we cannot live without them. This generation of teenagers has not lived without the ability to talk to each other digitally. This way of communicating has become a way of life for everyone and cannot be rejected. Whether talking to friends or donating money, media is always helpful and will continue to improve over the years.