Media: The Internet

cassidynhill
The internet has to be the king of all media sources. I mean, it’s basically every other media source all in one. You’ve got your videos, news articles, and ways of communicating. Like, what CAN’T you do by using the internet? Being a high school student and having grown up using the internet, I have been lucky to have been able to take advantage of everything the internet has to offer.
If you tell a student that they can’t use the internet for their schoolwork, there might just be a problem. We are used to having all information needed with the press of our fingertips. Literally. Assigned a research project? Just “google” it. With the click of the “ENTER” button, we are offered millions of pages full of information. Nice huh?
Don’t watch television? Don’t read the newspaper? Don’t worry. You can still know everything that goes on in the world. Just go online. Current events are uploaded constantly. News sites know everything that’s going on. Political, economical, international news… everything!
It’s not just what the internet can offer you. YOU can offer your own ideas as well. The internet is an opportunity to get your own thoughts and words out. If used the right way, the internet can be a wonderful place of personal expression. For example, blogs let you express your own thoughts, whatever they may be. And if other people become interested, they can read your blog and share your interests with you as well.
Let’s not forget what makes most teenagers these days. Social networking. Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, oh my. I’ll be honest. We wouldn’t be teenagers if we didn’t have something that allowed us to procrastinate or waste time. It’s just our nature! But It does have some good as well. For example, I’ve only met my grandma once when I was younger. She lives in Florida and I live in Kentucky. I’ve always regretted not having a relationship with her. The other day, she found me on facebook! It’s great to be able to establish connections with others who aren’t in your area.
But the most personal aspect of the internet to me would definitely have to be means of communication. My dad is often flying all over the state and in and out of the country. So sometimes, I’d go days without talking or seeing him. Now that my family has discovered something called Skype, we can talk to my dad whenever he isn’t home. Not only that, but I plan to be out of the country often as well. Being an upcoming college student and all, I have dreams of studying abroad. I’ll be taking my first trip this summer, and though I am excited, I know I’ll miss my family. With the internet, I can email my family all I want and I can video chat with them all I want!
The internet is truly amazing. I can’t think of anything that could top that!