Media: We Are All Susceptible

jenx817
The use of media in our daily lives has become more than just a source of information or a way of communication, but in fact a manipulator of the way we think, act and perceive the world around us. Television, radio and even films have been the top weapons of the media that greatly impacts the lives of millions and myself, personally.
The news, television shows and films of today have changed my standpoint on certain factors in life. In my opinion, I feel as though my own personal obsession with my weight, my beauty and just overall exterior appearance has greatly been fed by the images in the television media. In fact, as a result of the media images of skinny models, eating disorders have grown 400% since 1970 (Crisisconnection.org). I find this not the least bit surprising, as I myself once nearly steered toward the path of an eating disorder. As a result from the constant pressures to be thin, partly brought on by the media, I found myself exercising to exhaustion and eating significantly less. Every time I would even think of eating a meal, a Victoria’s Secret commercial would flash on the television screen, or I’d catch a glimpse of the seemingly weightless celebrity on the cover of Cosmopolitan, and immediately ignore my hunger. I was obsessed with my body image, so much that I eventually stopped eating all together. Now of course, it is ludicrous to blame my entire experience on the media, but a large part of the pressure was brought on just by being exposed to the thin and “perfect” people shown on television or in films.
According to Leonard Eron, Senior Research Scientist at the University of Michigan, television alone is responsible for 10% of youth violence. Violence in the media, especially television, has impacted many young adults to commit violent acts. I myself have found that I am quite indifferent towards violence, in that I do not find it fear inducing any longer, after repeated exposure to inconsequential violence in the media. A perfect example would be from 2009, when 17-year-old Andrew Conley admitted to strangling his younger brother. This tragic murder was solely caused by television and violence in television. In this case Conley admitted to murdering his brother because he identified with Dexter Morgan, the serial killer in the television series ‘Dexter’ and when strangling his brother Conley said he ‘felt like him’ (abcnews.com).
Media, in the form of television and more greatly impacts the everyday lives of people everywhere. Not only did the media affect my own personal body image, but it also contributed to the violent acts, going as far as murder, by teens and children who are exposed to it. The media has evolved from a valuable source of knowledge into a loaded gun of pressure on what is the norm, disinformation and overall influence of how people observe the world around them.
Comment by michness

jenx817,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle

It is so true that media has such a stronghold and influence on so many people. Your points are good and the facts are chilling. Good job!
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:40:29 AM