Media: An Albatross

Satoshi
The media is an invaluable source of information. It alerts me to citizen's revolutions happening across the world, oils spills in other regions, and even tells me who is getting married to whom. The steady and relatively accurate information allows me to form my own opinions and understand what my government is doing about certain issues, but the media has also cast about a dreary haze upon the public.

Media broadcasted through the media has impacted me the most because along with sound, there is a visual element as well. Not only can I hear about a tsunami killing millions, I can see it as well. Not only can I see the destruction in my home, but a television set is on where ever I am, whether that be in school or at the doctor's office.

Unfortunately, it is in human nature to be interested in the depressing news. Rarely is there a news clip of a miraculous birth, but there are often clips of tragic deaths. Watching t.v. has made me want to shut myself from the world. All day long all I hear and see are the news about deaths and kidnapping, wars and plagues. With the radio I can hear but not comprehend the words, but with the t.v., my eyes are actively reading headlines, hearing the stories, and watching the catastrophe.

This is not to say that all media is bad, because it is not. In fact, it is a wonderful thing. Some people revel in the knowledge of another country's fight for freedom, but I can only see how much blood is shed. The television is an albatross around my neck; I cannot seem to shake it, not that I really want to, but its presence is a depressing weight upon my shoulders.