Media: I Want to Look Like Them

RebeccaB
“I want to get a nose job”… “I want my stomach stapled”… “A face lift”… “Butt implants”… and “breast implants”... “I want to have muscle like him now.”
I’m only seventeen years old. Now I’m growing up into a young adult, multiple of my friends and some people I’m associated with have said those statements- word for word. Yes they may have said it to be kidding around, but still, even if it was meant to be laughed at, it’s still a little bit scary to think that a girl or guy under the age of twenty one year feels so insecure about themselves that they’d mangle themselves to try and look like someone else whose face shows up on the television screens in people’s house holds. Why not be unique and look like yourself?
Yes some plastic surgery is for medical reasons and it’s needed in order for someone to be able to do everyday things like walk, talk, and move their arms and fingers. But someone young wanting plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons is a little crazy and there are so many risk factors. Not everything always goes perfect. Yes for the people in Hollywood things usually do go well and they come out looking ‘beautiful.’ But not everyone can afford the high paying, experienced, and highly thought of, well- reviewed plastic surgeons. Some people would go to the cheapest person they can find and leave themselves disfigured for life.
Seeing people in Hollywood on the big screen makes people feel bad about themselves. People feel bad about themselves because they might not be as pretty as this person or as muscular as another person or as thin as another person that provides entertainment for them. When people begin to feel negatively about themselves it is usually around a young age- thirteen or fourteen- and when they get older they begin to take action or if possible some begin to make changes sooner. Some start to go to extremes to try and look exactly like them; people work out like crazy and take steroids to bulk up, and some will go and get plastic surgery to look like someone else too.
I do not understand why people feel the need to change themselves almost permanently with the price of money and with the price of possibly disfiguring yourself or even losing your life just to look like someone who already exists. I personally believe in that cliché saying- everything happens for a reason. So if you were born a certain way, then you were meant to be that way. Don’t change yourself for someone that your not or someone that you don’t look like or want to be. Stay true to you.