Media: Txtng

mmauldin
Media-the means of communication, as radio and television, newspapers, and magazines, that reach or influence people widely.

Media is everywhere. In our pockets. In our rooms. In our cars. At school, work, and and our homes. Like I said...it's everywhere. Influencing us for the good and the bad. Putting us through the good, bad, and ugly. The media greatly influences all of our lives. Whether we like it or not it does. On of the biggest areas of media affecting me today is wireless communications; A.K.A cell phones and the internet.

Being a big texter myself I know what it can cause. Good aspects of it include instant communication with friends and family. This instant communication can keep us in touch with friends and family we wouldn't otherwise be able to talk to. But phone use and texting can become an addiction. Teens average 3339 texts a month. That's over a hundred a day. And with, let's say, a minute per text that's over 1 1/2 hours of texting a day.
Kids text during class and late at night causing poor grades and sleep deprivation. Texting during class can take your focus away from school studies and lower your grades. Exessive txtg can even lead 2 por splng nd the writer wnt evn notice hlf the tm tht he/she is dng it. Even as i've sat here criticizing teens misuse of this new, exciting new way of communicating I have sent over 30 messages. 30 minutes I COULD have been writing this and getting it over with. But i want to feel connected.

Another way this form of wirelessly communicating can affect us for the bad is the misunderstanding of information. A text consists of words. Punctuation (if you arn't to lazy), and an accosional face or two. You can't here the person's mood or tone of voice. You may take something total innocent and blow it up into something ridiculous. It can also cause us to become less personal with eachother. Instead of talking to a person face-to-face you might text the person; creating less personal relationships. Sometimes even virtual relationships. With this technology you don't even have to meet someone to be able to get to know them, or what you think is them. For all you know the kind, caring girl you have been texting the last couple months is a player. Sleeping with every boy she comes upon. So the real question is-Is this technology connecting you or disconnecting you?

Take a minute and think this over. Do you know the people you're talking to. Do you know them personally? If so good for you!!! If not, consider cutting down on texting for a few months and get to know the people around you. Don't disconnect yourself by connecting yourself. Unhook those hands from that phone, look up, and talk to someone around you.

Comment by michness

mmauldin,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle

Very good point! I agree with you that there is such little personable communication when we rely so heavily on emails, texting, IM ect.
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:46:04 AM
Comment by Rish03

Interesting writing. What you have said it is 100% true. A lot of knowledge is being cut down due to the technologies around us. Especially when it comes to listening to your parents or any other adults. Texting is causing a distance to family and friends and allowing us to be afraid of showing who we really are to most people.
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 10:00:08 PM
Comment by Malyn

hey mmauldin,

I couldnt agree with you writing any more. I myself have been one of those teens that have gotten carried away with texting. I used to text constantly text all day making me lose connections with my real family and friends. It also was hard to pay attention in school because i was always texting and trying not to get caught by all the teachers. One i day i woke up and realized that i had lost some of my closest friends. I then stoped texting and got reconnected with them. It was hard to actually talk with them face to face because i had been so used to talking over text. Disconnecting from text was one of the best things that i myselft or anyone could ever do. I now know who some of my best friends are now and i actually can have a conversation with someone face to face with out struggling.I would suggest to anyone to quit texting and get reconnected.
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 6:30:03 PM
Comment by grady77

I totally agree!i always text, in class and all night. sometimes i text a little to much in class and I don't get any important information that i need. I think that texting is good and bad.
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:28:22 PM