Media: Its Effects On Normal Life

KStratton
Utah

Dear Diary,
Today I was watching the television when I got home from school, like I usually do and when I flipped to my favorite channel I was disgusted to see that instead of the usual channel it was a show that mainly dealt with sex and drugs. It was then that I realized that by being subject to so many images on television it had desensitized the youth. It was now socially acceptable to show images of girls allowing one night stands and it was now a common occurrence to see people get drunk and enjoy it. The only problem with actors is sometime it is hard to remember that it is just a story it isn’t real life, but because the actors make it look so fun other people are then thinking that it is alright if they do what the actors do. More people are being immoral or drinking prematurely because they think that they are mature and so that is what mature people do.
I was talking to my neighbor, who is 13, and during the conversation she told me about how she had gone out drinking the other night, she had slept with a 17 year-old and she had smoked. I was shocked at all of the experiences that she has had that are not necessary or even good to have at such a young age. The only thing that I can see that would change the difference between us is the amount of TV we had watched. I don’t watch very much TV and she has watched quite a bit of TV.
The amount of media that I’m exposed to each and every day is kind of ridiculous. Even at school there are at least a dozen conversations that have something to do with a phone, TV, or social networking sites. It makes me sick to think about the obsession that every teenager, including myself, has to knowing everything about famous people. They aren’t really who they seem to be, all they do is pose for pictures and so I don’t understand why everyone needs to know what they are doing, or how they can say that they love them when they don’t even know them. The media makes everyone seem delusional. It gives a false sense of security, like no matter what you do it doesn’t matter you can just fix it tomorrow, but some things you can’t fix tomorrow you have to think about your actions before you actually execute them.
Basically what I realized today is that the media sucks. It takes everything that is good and wholesome and slowly but surely corrupts it until there is nothing left except pieces of what once held standards together. Given enough time if the amount of media people are exposed to doesn’t go down then there will be more violence and more immorality.