What Is the Value of Marriage?

gymratlexi
What is the value of marriage? The value of marriage seems to have changed so much throughout the years. For a time the value of marriage was to gain a larger family network, land, or money. Sometimes parents even arranged the marriages for their children! But honestly, what is the value of marriage? Companionship? Commitment? What is it?

I believe companionship is one of the greatest values of marriage. It means that someone is going to go through everything in life with you, through the good and the bad. A true companion will never leave, they are a friend; they are committed. Someone once stated, “By ourselves we can enjoy life, but to really appreciate life we must find companionship.” Through marriage we will have a companion to accompany us until the sunset of our lives.

I believe another great value of marriage is commitment. Commitment means that someone makes an emotional pledge to bind him or herself to you, they’re always going to be there no matter what. Commitment is what guarantees your companion will never leave. When you commit to someone there’s no going back, you are with him or her. Pat Rile stated, “There are only two options regarding commitment. You’re either in or out. There’s no such thing as a life in between.” The great value of commitment is that someone loves and trusts you enough to promise to be with you forever.

The traditional wedding vows are: “To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, ‘til death do us part.” These vows mean that you will never care what that person has or where they are, you only care about their heart. They mean that you will stand by them through everything, whether they are healthy or sick. They mean that you will never leave that person, that you are soul mates.

To me the value of marriage will always be great. It will be companionship, friendship, commitment, trust, love, and a gift from God. That’s what the value of marriage should always be. Proverbs 18:22 states, “He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.” God made woman for man and man f or woman, marriage is a gift from God.