STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: Thinking Beyond the Vows

CC3PEP
Marriage is an over-glorified, under-thought, and, for the most part, unsuccessful institution. It is also one of the most powerful building blocks of our society. Over time, its significance and purpose has changed and is changing even now. So where do we go from here? What does marriage mean to you, to me, and to this new generation?

I admit that my view of marriage is jaded. My father filed for divorce before I was even born and by the time I was six, I had seen the inside of more child custody courtrooms than most people see in their lifetime. Raised by a single mother, divorced parents is “the norm” for me. When I meet other teens, I automatically assume that their parents are divorced. And why shouldn’t I? Half of all children will witness the divorce of their parents.

Despite everything, I still believe in the power of marriage and family. Marriage is a sacred, holy union that should only be entered into after much serious thought. Both parties should discuss and understand the repercussions of their decision to marry. Many people rush into marriage with considering what it means, how their lives will change, and if they are really ready to accept that responsibility. A surprisingly small number of people understand that marriage truly is “for better or for worse”, “in health and in sickness”, “for richer or for poorer”, and “in joys and in sorrows”. There is no perfect marriage. Every marriage is going to have its bumps and tough times. You have to expect that. If you bail at the first signs of stormy weather, your marriage will never survive. However, you cannot spend years of your life hanging on to an abusive, unhealthy, or just plain impossible marriage. There is a point where it better to move on, but many people quit before ever reaching that point.

In my opinion, people should date for at least a year before marrying. It takes a long time to get to know someone and an even longer time to decide if he or she is the right person for you. I think that people should live together before they marry so that they develop a better understanding of married life. I also believe that whether or not to engage in premarital sex should be a personal decision of mature adults. The obvious risks of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases can be reduced by practicing “safe sex”, which was not possible in previous eras, where premarital sex was shunned for its immorality and physical repercussions.

Personally, I hope to get married someday, but that day is a long way in the future. When it comes, I want it to be well thought out so that I can be confident in my decision. I want to know the man I am marrying, know what I am signing up to, and know that both of us are going to give it our best shot. That’s all anyone can really ask.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy