STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: Cause Love's Such an Old Fashioned Word

djain
The ideal life is as follows: go to college, find your soul mate, get married, have 2.5 children, and then live out the rest of your days in your rocking chair sitting next to that person you met 50 years ago. Whole industries have been built around this life—Hallmark creates cards that are used to congratulate those who get married, or have a kid. Kids R Us wouldn’t be around if not for the thousands of busy soccer moms required to pick up that special toy temporarily on markdown. E-harmony and match.com would not be so successful without the millions of men and women seeking a partnership for life. Romantic comedies make billions of dollars a year satisfying gooey teenage couples, and couples attempting to go back to those teen years, where every touch felt like it was the first (and probably was). But what happens when we don’t achieve this perfect life? What happens when we go down a different path? Singles over 40 are seen as desperate. Divorced men and women are pitied. And don’t forget that spinster aunt of yours that your mother constantly warns you not to talk to. Before we contemplate what happens today, let’s go back to when the majority of human groupings consisted of hunting-gathering societies. Back then, marriage was not between two people that loved each other, but a mode of survival, a way in which they could form bonds between neighboring tribes. Then, marriage was not about sharing kitchen duties, or picking up the kids, but about human bonds, connecting on the basest level possible—trusting in each other for survival. How does today’s 41% divorce rate in the United States reflect this? How do India’s arranged marriages relate to this definition of marriage? That’s the problem. They don’t. Marriage’s sole value is one of social standing; you’re respected if you are and shunned if you’re not. It’s why your mother warns you to stay away from batty Aunt Sally, and why tabloids always pity Jennifer Aniston. Today, marriage isn’t about being accepted by your significant other, but being accepted by society itself.
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Call me old school but society plays no part in how I feel, what I do and the partner I chose for life! But then again maybe things have changed? I do see some merit in your point, but as a "society" all the way down to the individual who makes up "society", we need to look at what marriage really "is" in our culture and make it what it should be. Only then will we be able to change the point of view that society has. If nothing else, despite a societal viewpoint, the individual will have found true love, a bond and commitment that creates the soul to sing forever in this life. You are right, marriage should not be an industry! Great essay!
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:55:54 PM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:33:05 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy