Marriage: Cause Love's Such an Old Fashioned Word

djain
The ideal life is as follows: go to college, find your soul mate, get married, have 2.5 children, and then live out the rest of your days in your rocking chair sitting next to that person you met 50 years ago. Whole industries have been built around this life—Hallmark creates cards that are used to congratulate those who get married, or have a kid. Kids R Us wouldn’t be around if not for the thousands of busy soccer moms required to pick up that special toy temporarily on markdown. E-harmony and match.com would not be so successful without the millions of men and women seeking a partnership for life. Romantic comedies make billions of dollars a year satisfying gooey teenage couples, and couples attempting to go back to those teen years, where every touch felt like it was the first (and probably was). But what happens when we don’t achieve this perfect life? What happens when we go down a different path? Singles over 40 are seen as desperate. Divorced men and women are pitied. And don’t forget that spinster aunt of yours that your mother constantly warns you not to talk to. Before we contemplate what happens today, let’s go back to when the majority of human groupings consisted of hunting-gathering societies. Back then, marriage was not between two people that loved each other, but a mode of survival, a way in which they could form bonds between neighboring tribes. Then, marriage was not about sharing kitchen duties, or picking up the kids, but about human bonds, connecting on the basest level possible—trusting in each other for survival. How does today’s 41% divorce rate in the United States reflect this? How do India’s arranged marriages relate to this definition of marriage? That’s the problem. They don’t. Marriage’s sole value is one of social standing; you’re respected if you are and shunned if you’re not. It’s why your mother warns you to stay away from batty Aunt Sally, and why tabloids always pity Jennifer Aniston. Today, marriage isn’t about being accepted by your significant other, but being accepted by society itself.

Call me old school but society plays no part in how I feel, what I do and the partner I chose for life! But then again maybe things have changed? I do see some merit in your point, but as a "society" all the way down to the individual who makes up "society", we need to look at what marriage really "is" in our culture and make it what it should be. Only then will we be able to change the point of view that society has. If nothing else, despite a societal viewpoint, the individual will have found true love, a bond and commitment that creates the soul to sing forever in this life. You are right, marriage should not be an industry! Great essay!
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:55:54 PM
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:33:05 PM