Marriage: A Fairytale Ending

Sasha B
As a child you hear various fairytale stories that are equipped with many different plots and schemes but always have happy endings. No matter how diverse the characters or storylines seem to be, there is always a common denominator in the twisted stories; love. It is the age old tale of boy meets girl; maybe they fall in love and get married. Although in present day time, witches, dragons, and evil stepmothers are not thrown into the mix, there are still numerous obstacles married couples are forced to face. However, I strongly believe that if marriage has a strong foundation consisting of love and trust, then no obstacle is too big.
Marriage means different things for different people. It all depends on that person’s background and personal experiences. Some people value marriage highly, but may value it for dissimilar reasons. For example, in countries such as Africa and Pakistan, arranged marriage is customary and traditional. Love may not always be a motivating factor when the arrangement is made. The marriage is usually a result of economic or financial reasoning. However, in my opinion love should always be the motivating factor for one to engage in marriage.
Marriage is not for everyone, and to some people the idea of marriage does not appeal. I believe you can look at marriage in multiple ways. For instance, some people see matrimony as a period, whereas others see it as a comma. I choose to view marriage as a comma, meaning that the first step has been taken; now it is time to continue on with the wonderful journey. Marriage is also uniquely beneficial to a society because it is the foundation of a family.
A common question that is often raised is “What is the point of marriage”? I have to admit that it is a valid question considering the fact the in the United States sixty percent of marriages end in divorce. In fact, my own parents are divorced. Divorce rates are also running rampant in other countries. However, despite the statistics, people are still continuing to marry and remarry. It is clear they still have hope in marriage. Personally I would love to fall in love and be married, regardless of negative views the world has on these particular nuptials. Although I am young, I find love to be beautiful and the solution to anything.
Someone once told me that marriage is like going bald, there is no parting. A marriage is a full on lifetime commitment. Love is the beginning and the glue to a relationship, but marriage is the structure. I am a strong believer in true love and soul mates, so I feel if you can dedicate your life to someone that you love outside of marriage, you might as well be married. Although the world today has removed a great deal of the fantasy and romance out of love and marriage, I still see the value in it, and I still dream of my own fairytale ending.

Great essay! I love your perspective on love and marriage. And, yes, take it from one who knows....soul mates are real! Good luck in life and love and on this contest!
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:02:31 PM
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:34:07 PM