Marriage: Can anyone really define it?

TrueBlue22
A joining of ones spirits, a lifelong commitment to love. Everyone has a different opinion, is there really a concrete answer to what marriage is? Luckily not many kids ask their parents “What is marriage?” as opposed to the dreaded “Where do babies come from?” conundrum. We just take it as something you do to make things “official”. Almost every little girl has drifted off to that familiar day dream of herself in that beautiful white gown with blooming flowers all around her. Is this just simply because is has been the tradition for so many years, or perhaps, is it our very soul that yearns for that ultimate outpouring of love?
Many think marriage is a lot more than just getting a piece of paper signed or joining your bank accounts. Some believe that sheet of paper is inferior to the joining of their souls and they don’t need an official to tell them to be together forever. In this day in age, marriage is a sign of love more than ever; we’ve gotten past the days of social classes separating lovers and the ultimate commitment being little more than just a way to carry on the family name. With this new way of thinking comes a whole lot more choices to make. Is that really the person I want to spend the rest of my life with? Do they really love me for me?
Now, I am way too young to get married but I believe that when I do find that someone I want to be with for the rest of my life, I wouldn’t want to ruin things by rushing it. I don’t think of marriage as just being a slip of paper, but rather as an official outpouring of love and commitment for all to see. Bottom line, no, there really isn’t a formal meaning of marriage, everyone’s opinions are different. But does that make them wrong? Of course not. The thing about it is, all of us are right, which doesn’t happen too often. Though we may disagree or even argue about it, marriage is what you think it is.