Marriage: The Aftermath

aewing
He was your dog. Yea, I bought him, and I named him, but he was your dog. You fed him. You took him everywhere. He followed you around. Then all of a sudden you were gone, and that dog just didn’t know what to do. I...didn’t know what to do.
He moped around the yard, waiting for you to come home, waiting for the big white truck to pull up his never-ending drive-way, waiting for you to let down the tailgate and say, “Come on! You want to go for a ride?,” waiting for you to to be his best friend again. But no, you don’t care anymore.
Then you have the nerve to work across the street everyday. After being gone from his life for so long you have the nerve to bring your big white truck across the street and leave the tailgate down. You have the nerve to deny him the life he lived and loved, the life that I lived and loved for so many years, without feeling any remorse.
How do you not feel the tiniest bit of regret when he looks at you with his big brown eyes? his perky ears? his slightly tilted head?
I never realized a dog with the mental capacity of a rock could experience so much pain because of you, that I could experience so much pain because of you.
But you didn’t just hurt the dog, you hurt me. For the past three years I have received so many sympathetic looks from the people in town. Every time I see them look at me and whisper, I know they are talking about “That Girl.” “That Girl” whose family was torn apart. “That Girl” who had to learn the hard way that she can’t depend on the most important man in her life. I’m “That Girl” taking care of your dog.