Marriage: More Than Just the Title Husband and Wife

CeeLoui3
I’m sixteen years old. I don’t have a boyfriend, and I can only remember three or four weddings I’ve gone to in my entire life. Only two of those weddings were the ideal church weddings you see in movies. So my idea of marriage may be more of a fantasy than an actual reality.

To me, marriage is more than just having the title of husband and wife. It’s more than making the promise of loving and protecting each other for forever. It’s keeping it.

My parents don’t display their affection towards each other in front of their kids like most married couples. They don’t do anything special on Valentine’s Day or celebrate their anniversary like most couples do. Even though it’s not an ideal marriage, it doesn’t make it any less of a marriage. My mom confides in my dad when things become too tough for her to handle because she knows he’s not going to bail when times get tough. When my dad needs to help out his family, my mom is there for him even if it’s inconvenient for her. Even when she is in a bad mood or mad him, she’ll always help him out. I admire the strength of their marriage especially the struggles they’ve endured in the past to keep it that way. Their marriage may not be romantic and glamorous, but it’s real and strong.

Sometimes I'll browse through entertainment magazines and become disheartened when a celebrity couple's marriage falls apart. People say that they can’t reconcile their differences, but marriage is about forgiveness and being faithful. What would the difference between dating and getting married be if people still can't reconcile their differences even in marriage? When I see marriages fall apart, I get scared that people will start to forget what marriage is really about. Maybe to them, marriage is like dating but only with the title of husband and wife instead of boyfriend and girlfriend.

According to http://www.divorcerate.org/, 41% of first marriages in America end in divorce. The percentages are higher for the second and third marriages. Even though these are just statistics, it scares me to think that even in the second marriage there are more divorces than the first one. People, who had a second chance in marrying someone they love, still got a divorce.

Love doesn't care about time; marriage isn't something that should be rushed. I don’t believe there is a certain age you have to get married unless you’re planning on starting a family. Sometimes it seems people rush into marriage too quickly because they’re afraid of getting old, but love doesn't age it only grows stronger.

I’ll admit, my knowledge of marriage is limited, but I strongly believe it’s beautiful and pure, like hope, when people don’t abuse it. It’s scary enough to face the world alone; but if you know you won’t face it alone ever again because of how powerful your marriage is, those things don’t seem so scary anymore.